4 May 2024 - Attleboro, MA National Postcard Week Kickoff Meetup

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Attleboro, MA, USA
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Attleboro Public Library, 74 N Main St, Attleboro, MA
:calendar: DATE: Saturday, May 4, 2024
:alarm_clock: TIME: 1-4pm Eastern Standard Time
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Postcard Week is an annual event to promote the use of postcards, held in the first full week of May since 1984.[1][2] Started in the US, it is also celebrated by deltiologists in other countries.[3] Special commemorative postcards have been printed for Postcard week by various organizations, especially postcard clubs,[4][5] since as early as 1985.[6] As of January 2024, there is a savings of 15 cents to send a postcard versus a letter (53 cents versus 68 cents). During the Golden Age of postcards (early 20th century), the cost to send a postcard was half that of a letter (1 cent versus 2 cents). Pennies mattered at that time. For example, a loaf of bread might cost 5 cents circa 1915. In the age of text messages and social media, there are hints of a resurgence of interest in written communiques among younger people. There is a certain focus required to write a postcard, and that focus results in a beautiful display of care for the recipient. Vintage postcards brim with symbology and art history.

Come join us as we celebrate National Postcard Week with a fun meetup. We will sign meetup cards (Card design is below), write out postcards, chat with old & new friends, and play a few games. More details will be coming as we get closer to the event date but here’s an idea of the event.

-Bring stamps, stickers, your best pens, and signature ink stamp if you have one for signing meetup cards, etc.

MEETUP CARDS: I have designed a New England postcard themed meetup card which is posted below in the chat. I have ordered 250 cards. If you haven’t been to a meetup before, while not required generally everyone usually signs each card. You don’t need have a signature rubber stamp with your Postcrossing username but it’s easier signing this many cards with one rather than by hand. Everyone’s custom stamp is one of the things that makes these meetups fun. If you have more than one please ensure at least one of them is small. If we end up with a high number of attendees, it’s easier to fit small stamps on the card. Feel free to ask about websites & guidelines for ordering your own. Stickers with your username are also handy for the cards. Please just make sure they are not larger than 1 inch.

TRASH TO TREASURE TABLE: If you have cards, washi, stickers you don’t love anymore, bring them to swap with others. As they say…one snailmailer’s trash is another’s treasure.

RAFFLE PRIZES: Chance to win one of three prizes. (Prizes to be announced closer to event but I am posting components of the prizes as they come in. Keep checking to see what will be included.

Attleboro Public Library is located in the center of Attleboro. It is easily accessible from the MBTA Attleboro Commuter Rail Station on the Providence/Stoughton line. The library is a short 10 minute walk away from the station. If you’re coming from a longer distance, AMTRAK has stops in both Providence and Boston that you can transfer to the commuter rail from. Providence is the closer Amtrak stop. MBTA offers a Weekend Pass for the commuter rail and is only $10.

The Providence Post Office located at 24 Corliss St, Providence, RI is open 8am to 6pm on Saturdays if you need postage stamps or want to have your cards hand canceled after the event. They are a 20 minute drive from the library, depending on traffic. There are several blue collection boxes in the center of Attleboro if you have stamped your cards and just want to mail them after the meeting.

If you are interested in meeting local postcrossers, please join us. Get in touch for more details and/or questions.

HOPE to see you soon in here in Attleboro!

:point_up: Please make sure to read the [Meetup Guidelines (Log in) before signing up for a meetup.

6 Likes

I want to come to this so badly and I’m so excited to see this is happening! I will definitely come if I can get the day off of work.

1 Like

sad to miss this one but i will be out of town, during this time :pleading_face: i hope you guys have lots of fun though! :two_hearts::sparkles:

i would love to swap for a meet-up card too! :love_letter::sparkles:

ps. i left this one the other boston-area meet-up post too, but the MBTA offers a $10 CR Weekend Pass valid for unlimited rides on all lines and zones, saturday start of service through sunday end of service. it is a really awesome deal that basically pays for itself over 1-2 rides.

Sorry to hear you can’t make it @sarahaeyo . Hope you have a great trip.

And thank you for posting about the $10 weekend pass for the commuter rail. It IS a great deal. I use it often when traveling into Boston.

Hope you can make it!

Tagging past attendees. Hope to see you all again…

@BethanyL19 @brattlegirl @fionat @GBliss @letsdothewave @LisaSaurusRex @logicoverflow @mamarochat @Odie192 @Stacey02886 @malves58 @mmouded @kristencat @MailedByMsNik @alarica76

Count me in! Just marked it down on the Family Calendar on the fridge so it’s OFFICIAL. Ha! It will be fun to see the Southern New England Postcard Pack again! - Garry

1 Like

i think i will be able to make this! i will know closer to the date. would love to see everyone again and meet new faces! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should be able to make it! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

1 Like

Wah, I have a conflicting event that day. :frowning: But, potential attendees, WalkinMomma hosts great meetups and I highly recommend attending!

Hope to see you next time,
Fiona

Woo hoo! We made the family calendar! Excited to see you again, Garry.

Really hope you’ll be able to make it, Kristen. It’s going to be a fun one.

Thank you for the kind words, Jane. Sad to hear you won’t be able to make it. Hopefully I’ll see you again at another meetup soon.

Hello I’m Judi. I grew up I’m MA. :smile:
My first meet-up! Yes! :smile:

3 Likes

Hi Judi,

Happy to hear you’ll be able to make it. Looking forward to meeting you. :blush:

Hi! Newbie here!

I would love to attend this meetup but since I’ve only been postcrossing for a month, I’m a little worried that I wouldn’t really fit in… is there anything I should be aware of before thinking of attending? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi newbie!

Of course you’ll fit in you’re a part of the Postcrossing community now. We all share a love of sending/receiving postcards. Attending a meetup is a great way to learn more about Postcrossing. It’s a wonderful opportunity to hear about where others buy/find postcards & postage stamps. Nice to hear others share their postcrossing experiences.

The main purpose for meetups is to meet other members. At least that’s my primary goal of attending meetups. Another big part of a lot of meetups is the opportunity to get some of the meetup cards that members in attendance sign. It is not required that you purchase or sign the cards but it is a fun part of going to a meetup. If you do want to participate in signing the cards you are welcome to handwrite your username but I would highly recommend buying one. They’re generally pretty cheap and can be found on Etsy, Vistaprints and other such sites. For bigger meetups, it will certainly help save your hand and wrist from cramping up as you go about signing a couple hundred postcards. It’s nice to have just for your own postcards at home too. I will post the stamped side of the last meetup I co-hosted so you can see some examples. This would be my biggest piece of advice for attending.

I will be posting more information over the next few weeks as we get closer to the date of the meetup but please feel free to ask any other questions you have.

Hope to meet you on the 4th!

Here’s a sample of the stamped side of a meetup card. As you can see some people who didn’t have a signature stamp wrote their username. When purchasing a stamp, i would recommend the smallest size you can get that your username is still legible.

2 Likes

UPDATE: We’re almost 3 weeks out from the meetup so I wanted to pop in with an update.

-I am finalizing the meetup card design this weekend and will be placing an order for cards. I will post a picture here of the design when completed.

-@gbliss will be hosting a fun postcrossing themed BINGO game at the meetup I’m very excited about.

-Raffle prizes have started coming in. There will be 4 raffle prices. No purchase needed for raffle tickets. They will be given out in your welcome packet. I will be posting pictures of prize components as they come in and will post pictures of the full prizes the week of the meetup. Be sure to bookmark this thread so you can see what’s going to be up for the winning.

1 Like

Raffle prize component: Set of 25 Illustrated Flower postcards*

*Will be combined into a raffle basket.

1 Like