27 January 2024 - WISCONSIN MEETUP - Postcrossing With My Gnomies for my 55th Birthday

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Port Washington, Wisconsin
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: W.J. Niederkorn Library, 316 W. Grand Ave, Port Washington, WI 53074
:calendar: DATE: Saturday, January 27, 2024
:alarm_clock: TIME:10:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. (We must be cleaned up and out by 1:00 p.m.)
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: I Love Gnomes, I Love Post Crossing and I Love that it’s my 55th BIRTHDAY! I want you to be a part of the celebration.

UPDATED ON JANUARY 22, 2024.
I am SUPER EXCITED to host this event for people to attend and help me celebrate my birthday. I have quite a few things I’m bringing to surprise you with that I pray bring a smile to your face. We will have a chocolate cake and a vanilla cake. Please BYOBeverage. Don’t forget to bring a postcard to leave me for my birthday. Thanks in advance to those who will donate a few bucks to the cost of the room rental. Don’t forget to bring your postcard stash so we can share what we’ve received from all over the globe. Be prepared to show:
-Your FAVORITE
-Your Least Favorite
-The type of card you didn’t know you wanted but now can’t get enough of
-The largest postcard you’ve received
-The smallest postcard you’ve received
-The strangest postcard you’ve received

LET’S MEET UP! Who loves sending and receiving postcards from across the world? Bring all the postcards you have, make sure they are separated by country. Show off the stamps you’ve received from across the globe. Meet up with others that love this hobby. There will be a MEETUP postcard available for purchase for you to send to yourself and others from this event. Everyone can bring your own postcards or create custom meetup cards for others to send from the event. I mean…it is a party after all!!! If this is your first time at a Meetup…GREAT! Post Crossing meetups are simply a way to make connections with other people. Kind of like the Wizard of Oz…the man behind the curtain…well meet the people behind the postcards.

FREE to ATTEND: There will be a donation box to cover the cost to rent the room (I am not from the area so the library charges $15/hr).

WHAT TO BRING? Bring your stampers, name stamp, cool pens you use to write, stickers you use on cards, postcards for swapping, decorative stamps, etc.
Show us your Post Crossing style!

ONE POST CROSSERS TRASH IS… The postcards you have laying around that you can’t find a good fit for? BRING THEM! We will have a Trash to Treasure Table for you to pick through. There will be a box for stickers and washi tape also if you have some to share. (thank you Dictionary for this idea).

10 CARD GIVE and TAKE: Put 10 unused postcards into a quart size ziploc baggie. There will be a GIVE and TAKE Basket. Put a baggie in. Take a baggie out. (thank you CherryTempest for this idea)

POSTCARD GAME: Post Card BINGO. Everyone will receive one BINGO card and a chance to WIN!

FOOD/BEVERAGE: The library permits food and drink so feel free to bring your non-alcoholic beverage of choice and lunch. I will make sure we have cake (with plates, napkins and utensils) to celebrate with! I will bring two homemade, multi-layer birthday cakes. One Death by Chocolate cake and a Vanilla Ice cake. NO GLUTEN FREE cake provided.

YOUR RSVP is your reply: COUNT ME IN GNOMIE reply below!

BIRTHDAY SURPRISES FOR: (because I love to give when it’s my birthday) *one prize per person
-The Postcrosser that travels the furthest to the MeetUp.
-The Postcrosser in attendance that has received the most post cards.
-The Newest Postcrosser to join the hobby.
-The Postcrosser that has a postcard with the lowest number.
**All of the above must be validated via the Postcrossing website. Cannot use PostCardUnited cards.

BIRTHDAY GIFTS? Will you humor the Birthday Girl??? I’ll have a small box near the cake table that you can place a postcard in with a quick note about why you came to the event or what you loved about the event, signed by you, and make sure it’s stamped. I plan to mail them from the event site to myself and I’ll tell you right now…I’m SO EXCITED because that will be the COOLEST birthday gift ever!!!

8 Likes

I plan to attend. Sounds like an interesting way to celebrate a birthday!

2 Likes

Wow, a meetup right in my city! I’ll try to join.

2 Likes

Wait, what?!! This is amazing! There are other postcrossers in port?! I had no idea! I’ve actually been thinking about hosting a meeting here for a while, but I never seem to have had the time to actually plan anything! And I was even going to have it at the library haha! If you need any help with this at all, you just send me a message okay!

1 Like

Awesome!!! Thank you for replying.

If you’ve been to a MEETUP in the past and can provide some advice, I am willing to take it. Not sure if there is a way to inbox me???

2 Likes

Hi Ruann! I’ve been to three in person meetups and one virtual! Honestly, it sounds like you thought of everything! They’ve all been pretty simple affairs. At two of the meetups, someone gave a short 5 to 10 minute presentation on a topic of interest to mail, postcards, or stamps. One time, it was a history of postcards and stamps about the moon. Another time, it was about how to register for your own personal postmark! At the other 2 meet ups, there were no presentations like this.

I did send you a couple private messages! If you go up to the top right hand corner, you should be able to see your notifications and click on the envelope where your inbox will be. If you have trouble getting these messages, just let me know!

3 Likes

Add me in for the fun.

2 Likes

Maybe we can chat offline if that possible? I’m sure there is a way to enhance the event I see in my head.

I have the poster done for the library.
I have the meet up cards done too.
I have postcard grab bags in the making.

But there’s plenty of other things still to do…

1 Like

Oh THATS where they are!!! I see them come through my email but I can’t reply that way. #duh Kk. Stand by,

1 Like

This meetup looks absolutely amazing. It would be my first one. I plan to be there. Thank you.

2 Likes

Let me know if you’d like to chat, Ive hosted two with about 25 people in attendance.

You can also look at the latest Portland Oregon Meetup post for pointers. These things are quite casual, and if you’re worrying about the details, I can tell you it’s already organized enough.

You can do this!!

2 Likes

I am new to postcrossing this year (July). Man I would love to make it but we are leaving that day for our 6-week trek south. Maybe next time. HAVE FUN!!!

1 Like

I plan to be there! Looking forward to it!

1 Like

Great. See you there.

I’ll be attending. I’ve wanted to attend a meetup in Wisconsin for several years, and now I finally will!

1 Like

Hooray!!! I’m so excited that people want to come!!! I have great freebies to share and am putting together some fun prizes too.

1 Like

I have to teach that morning but hope to be there by 11:00 or 11:30! Please save some Meetup cards for me! And let me know if you need help decorating the library display case, if you did end up reserving it!

Hi, Nick here, I’m planning on attending. I’d like 15 of the Meetup cards if that helps your planning. Looking forward to the event.

1 Like

I am keeping an eye on the January weather.
Can I let you know closer to the Meetup date?

1 Like