Yay or nay? Original designs

I’m from Oklahoma so the rodeo card is fine. I am a bit bewildered why some refer to it as animal torture (its not, but maybe they have never been to a rodeo)

Wow! I am surprised at the negativity on rodeos. Here in western Canada and the US mid west rodeos are popular. Its part of our culture. Many small towns have rodeos! Thats their big event for the year!!! Its the #1 sport in the state of North Dakota. The state of Wyoming has a bucking horse with a cowboy on its license plate. I’ve personally sent out a number of post cards from the Calgary stampede and from the local rodeo. I sent them out because its unique culture from our area. Famous Las Vegas holds the largest rodeo in the world. I guess I’ll have to rethink my future rodeo post cards carefully on who gets them!

Now bull fighting is another interesting take. Mexico City has a stadium that holds 60,000 people for bull fighting and if someone from Mexico (or some other bull fighting country)wants to send me a bull fighting postcard because I asked for local culture postcards. I am OK with that even if I’m against bull fighting!
It makes for an Interesting topic!!!

Culture is amazing and important but it should never be an argument to continue on doing things, that are hurtful or discriminatory towards people or animals.
My opinion.

10 Likes

Yeah, but people tend to have an usual idea of what a rodeo is if they’ve never seen one. Your average rodeo animal is having a much much much better life and time than almost any animal you’ve ever bit into and said “mmm, delicious”. The only difference is that the way contemporary agriculture treats food animals is generally not put on public display.

1 Like

Isn’t whataboutism a really cheap argument? Or do you have pig rodeo?

1 Like

I went to a Rodeo a few years ago in Texas–I was stunned. I don’t think the animals were having fun.

3 Likes

Yes, pigs are commonly used in rodeos.

And those pigs will not be fattened and slaughtered?

so you are saying no one should ever send a food recipe postcard if it features a meat dish…
this also raises a question about cards I have showing people riding horses (especially Natives) or my cards showing the Amish using horse drawn carriages if members regard these activities as torture (personally I don’t)

Where did I say that?