World Postcard Day 2024 :postcard:

Is there any news regarding the WPD 2024 design competition? In the past few years the theme was announced in early June, but this year there has been no news yet on the PC blog, PC forum or the world postcard day website.

Has the design competition been cancelled?

14 Likes

There was quite a big controversy with last year’s competition, so perhaps that is why.

4 Likes

Meanwhile this year we will have this event

Full info: https://www.upu.int/en/universal-postal-union/activities/philately-ircs/world-post-day-2024#slide-1

12 Likes

It’ll be announced soon! @meiadeleite said in the Postcrossing Discord the other day that they’re changing things up a bit this year, which meant they got a bit delayed.

I’m excited for it too :tada:

24 Likes

I’m so glad to hear it hasn’t been cancelled entirely! I look forward to seeing the new format once it is announced.

3 Likes

I apologize for any inconvenience, but I’m unsure where to inquire. Could anyone please let me know if the theme for this year’s World Post Day has been decided?

If this post is somehow inappropriate, the admin may feel free to delete it.

1 Like

Sorry for going off-topic. There is a Postcrossing Discord?

Back to on-topic:

I am looking forward to WPD and also great news about the UPU maxicard initiative. I checked with the Swiss philatelic magazine and there is a special issue stamp planned for September. Hopefully, there will be a Swiss maxicard, too. :crossed_fingers:

I will have to manage my available slots though. I will be attending two meet-ups in October and want to send official meet-up cards as well as WPD cards and UPU maxicards (if available in Switzerland). :thinking:

5 Likes

Yes! Here it is:

5 Likes

Sorry for keeping this year’s World Postcard Day under so much suspense! We got a little delayed with our preparations, and right now we’re focused on Postcrossing’s birthday coming up this Sunday (and a little surprise!).

Next week we’ll go back on schedule and talk about the World Postcard Day on the blog!

36 Likes

oke we wait for it!

27 Likes

I am new here (so far only 25 sent) and just ordered my official design cards. To make sure I do this correctly - I have to SEND an official card on October 1st. I have read that many of you save up your available slots for October 1st. Does it have to be received before you get a Badge.
Thanks and enjoying this so much.
Sharon

3 Likes

Yes, that is correct. The address needs to be drawn on 1 October and the card needs to get registered in order for you to receive the badge on your profile. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

FYI - Last year, Postcrossing limited people to sending 10 postcards for WPD. Too many requests at the same time makes it rough on the server and might create a shortage of addresses who need to receive cards.

3 Likes

Yes but in the post-WPD debrief they said that actually created more of a strain on the algorithm because everyone was drawing 10 addresses. So they might adapt that plan.

4 Likes

I won’t have 10 spots I am too new, so was thinking I would save perhaps 2 and hope 1 makes it.

Thanks

7 Likes

Wait, I’m pretty new. Nov. 2023. How do i get this World Postcard Day card? I cant seem to see anywhere to buy it. Is this justcan example? I’m confused. I want to be prepared for October.

I remembered it didn’t go exactly as planned, but I didn’t remember the reason.

I just ordered some from VISTAPRINT and if you chat with them they will add a 15% discount on what is in your cart. I tried MOO but for some reason they didn’t seem to offer postcard that were not coated on the address side?

And drawing an address in your timezone counts, don’t be confused if it says 2nd Oct., but it is 1st Oct. in your timezone. This aspect confuses many every year I have noticed.

3 Likes