World Birds' Postcard List

I’ve sent several bird postcards from the Sibley Backyard Birds postcard box and the PostcardFair state birds series, here are some of the others-

2 Likes

World Sparrow Day incomings from lovely indian pals :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Sparrow day Maxicard with Postmark released on 20/03/2024 by Bengaluru with Sparrow stamp

3 Likes

And now the not seagull birds I’ve received since October :smiley::
I’ll add the German names and the literal translation, too, because I always find the names especially of butterflies and birds really interesting and sometimes strange both in English and in German. And maybe you can enjoy it, too :wink:

Black bird and a common kingfisher from someone’s garden
Amsel und Eisvogel (“ice bird”)

Dipper :heart_eyes:
Wasseramsel (“water black-bird”)

Easter chicks
Osterküken

I think these are Long-tailed tits
Schwanzmeisen (“tail-tits”)

Penguin
Pinguin

Magpie :heart:
Elster

Tawny owl
Waldkauz (“Forest owl”) - oh, apparently we have two words for owl in German “Kauz” (more stocky) and “Eule” (more slender); I didn’t realize before

An owl in the background :wink::

And unknown birds:

2 Likes

And the non seagull birds I’ve sent :slight_smile::

Eurasian jay
Eichelhäher (“oak seed” + older German word for Corvidae)

Black bird
Amsel

Western yellow wagtail
Schafstelze (“sheep stilt”; wagtail ↔ stilt)

And I've sent some tits ("Meisen"):

Great tit
Kohlmeise (“coal tit”)

Blue tit
Blaumeise (“blue tit” - same in English and in German :smiley:)

Coal tit
Tannenmeise (“fir tit”)
Confusing: a “Kohlmeise” is a Great Tit and a “Tannenmeise” is a Coal tit :grin:

And this Christmas card also contains two birds :grimacing:: a goose (“Gans”) and a chicken (“Huhn”)

3 Likes

wow! I envy you a bit - it is incredible beautiful :heart:

I love dippers a lot. I regularly watch them at the old water mill in our village. They are so lovely birds. They even can walk underwater :smiley:

4 Likes

Oh, can they? I didn’t know that! :blush: That’s pretty cool. I watched one once “dancing” on an up-side-down pot before and through my glass garden door.

2 Likes

Recent birds on cards

5 Likes

I have no clue if these cards have already appeared on the thread, so if that’s the case, just let me know, but these are the ones I’ve sent/received:

· (Sent) Eurasian blue tit. Not a rara avis ( :wink:) but I find this shot to be particularly beautiful

· (Received) Super cute barn owl

· Another beautiful shot of a tit. I sent it thorugh the Forum and I kinda regret not having saved it for the official wall

5 Likes

I received this beautiful postcard in a lottery. Thanks again @ava96 .

The bird is a Blue-grey Gnatcatcher, and it’s a tiny songbird native to north America.

8 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve received a few more official postcards with birds on:

Purple Martin

White Stork

Flamingoes

And I think this might be a Lesser Redpoll, though I’m not much good with these little birds

1 Like

my first assosication would be a house finch. But I’m not sure either could also be a Common redpoll (so possibly also a lesser redpoll)

2 Likes

I don’t remember what the bird in this first one is, I remember it was written in the postcard, I would need to find it again.

A robin

An owl

3 Likes

I think it’s a Ptarmigan.

I hadn’t heard of a House Finch before but, looking at pictures online, I would guess they’re all the same family as redpolls. They look very similar.

US 8505398 that was sent by me aren’t really garden birds. They are neotropical warblers that migrate across Lake Erie (in Ohio, USA) every spring. They are tiny colorful songbirds.

3 Likes

I’ve received a few more:

Eurasian Hoopoe

Parrots

And a Grey Headed Woodpecker

4 Likes

As a bird postcard collector I love this thread - a few to have recently crossed my path

4 Likes

Received recently, this one, with Platycercus eximius (Eastern Rosella)

Also recently sent, another Bullfinch:

3 Likes

A complete set of bird postcards illustrated by a local artist in Dorset, UK :bird:

8 Likes