Why people dislike vintage/old (unused) cards?

I wonder how people would feel about getting an old postcard that has been modified by the sender?

Let’s say you have an older card like this one. (I don’t have it, by the way – it’s just a random picture pulled off the Web.)

It’s not very exciting, right?

But if I pasted a picture of Godzilla rampaging over the rooftops…?

I think it could be quite fun to “improve” dull older cards by modifying them with artwork or stickers. Of course, I recognize that some people prefer straight-up postcards, so not everyone would care for that.

25 Likes

I would love that. Actually, I saw some days ago embroidered old postcards and I found it rather original.

4 Likes

If you have a small collection of postcards, then that is it. Some countries and the places someone live provide more opportunities to buy or order or have a lot of postcards. Don’t worry too much about it. Try to make the best of the writing part - interesting enough that the image maybe less important…

In the old days before Internet and Postcrossing you bought the postcards and writing paper you liked to send to friends, family and pen pals…

Postcrossing is all about sending and receiving postcards. You’re in charge and all the profiles are preferences, not obligations!

3 Likes

I love the pre-Godzilla picture! Just goes to show, taste is in the eye of the beholder!

9 Likes

I actually like the pre-Godzilla picture too… You know, I was actually looking for an example of a washed-out “boring street” postcard (I’ve seen them before), but I couldn’t find one when I wanted one!

Probably I should have desaturated the original pic before tinkering with it, ha ha :slight_smile: Even then it’d still be more interesting than some of the particularly nondescript old postcards!

2 Likes

Yes wonderful old cars. I love the social history

3 Likes

I like vintage cards.I buy them in my particular collections. They offer an insight into the past.
Most importantly its an environmentally friendly choice to use cards that already exist v printing more.
I use vintage and new cards for sending depending on the persons profile

5 Likes

I like vintage reprints but don’t like old, tatty, falling apart cards which most of the ones I received were. Since I’ve had on my profile I not a fan of them, I get very few.

1 Like

I agree vintage does not equal tatty. I wouldn’t be happy with sellotape marks etc

I have an allergy to mould (mold) so the problem I have with vintage cards is that often they smell and are mouldy and give me a headache. But I don’t put it in my profile because I get them very seldom and if I do get one…I put it in a little bag and store it.

4 Likes

I like vintage as it relates to culture of the time (especially if it has become taboo/inappropriate since then). Even reprints or “in the style of” are pretty fun.

Same goes for sex- or race- related issues of the times, but I don’t want to post those publicly for fear of violating the TOS :laughing:

9 Likes

@bitsofbrokenhearts, I love retro cards and often send them! They combine all the advantages of the original (striking design) and being a modern copy (mint condition and not at all smelly).

That said, if you ever draw my name and you have, say, a cheeky old British seaside card… by all means fire away :laughing:

3 Likes

Ha ha, that’s great :rofl:

Normally, I really dislike modifications because I like such old cards and - to be honest - most people “pimp” cards just with boring and not well glued stickers.
But your godzilla is absolutely fantastic!!

1 Like

Ha ha, thank you!
I’m pretty active in the Goody Two Shoes ballet_shoes Chaotic Nonsense RR, where many if not most of the cards we send are modified according to the theme of the moment. So I try to …contain… my modifications to that forum :laughing: But nowadays I’m finding that I’m buying and reserving a lot of “weird” cards specifically for that. It’s really expanding my definition of “cards worth buying”!

4 Likes