When officially to complain?

That might be… I’ve often seen it mentioned on the forum that the written side of the postcard shouldn’t be shown, but I don’t remember if it’s in the rules somewhere.

I also ignore requests for other things, but I admit I have a problem with collectors (and usually someone gets offended when I say it), I mean it’s fine to collect but when it’s clear in the profile that that’s all someone is here for, I just don’t like it. And instead of getting interested in stamps, the more I see people raving about them, the less I want to look at them :joy:

1 Like

If they said they only wanted transport tickets and other free stuff or a single coin of low value I wouldn’t mind so much (I still wouldn’t do it because sending in an envelope is more expensive from here but I might glue an old transport ticket to the card as a decoration).

But they often ask for keychains, stickers and things that cost money and I find that a bit rude. And yes, they ask nicely but always in a way that makes you feel bad if you don’t do it (you would make me soooooo happy, i really want them etc) and I find that stressful. I just ignore it. If you want stickers, keychains etc join a lottery or trade but don’t make people feel guilty if they can’t send you this.

2 Likes

it says everytime you upload a photo.

and honestly i agree with you. the fact that this person seems to be more interested in the stamps than the card takes all the joy out for me. but i see quite a lot of profiles that collect stamps. well and cards. i’m not here for either and that’s not the reason postcrossing exists. i always write the card full, because that doesn’t cost anything and the receiver might like it, but in these cases i feel like they don’t care at all what i have to say, they’ll just be disappointed i don’t have the exact card or stamp they’re missing.

4 Likes

Yes, but sometimes you get them free, and I believe they mean these? (Or I want to believe.)
Once I was handed magnets from our museum, and I sent these, and everyone was very happy, but they do cost more to send, and need a strong envelope. (Just today I sent a magnet, but as a swap, and the whole envelope got stuck to the mail box even through the strong cardboard envelope :rofl: and, I didn’t think it can cause trouble, I should’ve come back home and pack it differently. I understood this at the moment I dropped it inside the box :upside_down_face: )

2 Likes

Yes, maybe, but still it will cost more from many countries to send (for something as heavy as a keychain I would pay at least twice as much in postage).

I don’t even really understand how postcrossing would be interesting for a stamp collector (for private swaps, yes, but not in general).

I mean most of the stamps these days are sticker stamps and I believe they are not that appealing to stamp collectors.

And also you usually end up with the same stamps. I mean there are some exceptions but I always use the same stamp on all of my cards because that is the one the post office has. And from abroad I often love the stamps but I often get the same ones over and over (which is perfectly fine).

I just think that general postcrossing would not be that great for stamp collectors.

3 Likes

I use this as a “wishlist” and don’t take it as a demand. So I do not feel bad about not sending anything.
I do feel bad when they ask for cards in evenlopes. I send out so many cards that the 15 cents difference in postage does matter in total so I always explain to them that sending a card from Germany in an envelope is more expensive. Usually they understand.

I try to state wishes on my profile but at the same time do not have a do not send list and I say that in the end I am happy with every card I receive.
I am a collector but that is what I mainly use the forum for. It is nice, of course, to receive an additon to my collection via the official postcrossing but defenitely not a must for me. As I state on my profile the written side is what makes the card special :slight_smile:

So this is how I treat all profiles. If I can make them happy I happily do so. If I can’t I can’t

5 Likes

Yes it’s true. But I still find it a bit rude of them to ask. It’s this “give me what you have” mentality.

I wouldn’t mind if they said “I am a passionate stamp collector so if you have some extra ones I would love them but if you don’t that is fine” or “I am passionate about coins, if you don’t mind…”, “I love drinking tea so it would make me so happy to sample flavors from all around the world etc”.

But it is always like “I would be really happy about: coins, keychains, magnets, stickers, extra cards, tea bags, bookmarks etc etc”. So you don’t get the feeling that they are passionate about one thing and would be happy about it but more the feeling that they just want anything they can get for free no matter what it is.

Same here but I don’t explain it to them, I just send the card without the envelope.

2 Likes

Always keep in mind that you aren’t allowed to send any kind of goods as a letter anymore! This is the best excuse to not send anything but a postcard.

3 Likes

The lady at the post office actually told me “it’s no longer allowed but we are not allowed to open them so if it is something small you can do it” lol

I’m sure that paper items of all kinds are allowed. Letters are allowed too and bookmarks. It’s a piece of paper so I don’t see how that is different from a card.

In my opinion it is just a trick they use to make more money (because they want you to use a parcel). I don’t send anything except postcards anyway anymore (and I don’t use envelopes) but if someone sent a bookmark or stickers…honestly I wouldn’t blame them.

And I think if the German post continues to act that way soon no one will send anything anymore…

1 Like

The new rule is international though, it is the same in Singapore, and in Italy, and I assume more places. And as far as I know - if it’s the same rule - it is only for out of the EU (if you are in the EU of course). But yes it’s a hassle and all the more reason to only send non-paper items only if necessary.

To be honest, most requests for that seem polite to me, but I would not go out and buy a magnet (which is not so cheap) and spend loads to send it. But like others, I also keep a lot of things like stamps that I am not interested in for myself, so occasionally I send them on (not necessarily via official postcrossing).

Yes and no. A lot of postcrossers actively search for interesting stamps and are quite into philately. I feel bad using sticker-stamps so I only use them for those that don’t seem bothered. There was a whole thread about it on here…
So I guess the two things feed off each other, so many postcrossers are into stamps (though most of them are not implying it’s the only thing they care about…but some do) so the others search for interesting stamps and basically you get stressed about stamps even if for me it is just a means to an end (though here in Singapore it is pretty easy to get a variety of stamps online, and I am lazy to queue at the post office, so I do a mix of online purchases and machine-printed labels).

1 Like

Could you send me a link to the discussion? I can’t find it. About sticker stamps. @elikoa

I was lazy to look for it earlier :sweat_smile: but I gave it a quick search and found it (I remembered the word used was “labels” and not “stickers” so my search was very targeted). There you go:

1 Like

In fact, from Germany you’d pay 5 times (if sent to another European country) or 9 times (if sent worldwide) as much, because you’d have to send it as a small parcel…

I’m afraid they won’t deliver if it’s clearly not paper, but a good like a magnet or a keychain.

I don’t know what the German Post will do if there’s no return address, but if there is one, they’ll send it back to the sender instead of proceeding it to the foreign country. I already got back envelopes with not enough postage (one time, I didn’t look it up correctly, and the other time, I just mixed things up…), with a label stating that I didn’t use the required postage.

Besides, I also don’t like profiles mentioning that they want to receive costly extras, like magnets or keychains. Not thinking about the extra costs that such a wish might cause for members in other countries is kind of thoughtless in my opinion. :roll_eyes: So I just ignore it and send a good old postcard. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Thanks so much!

I complained last November about 7 postcards without postage or insuficient postage.
I sent a reminder to support@postcrossing.com in the beginning of January.
I sent a second reminder 6 weeks later in February.
My complain is still open.

The complain in November about 5 abandoned childeren accounts was answered beginning of January, after a reminder.

So every one who complains or report: it can take a long time before you get answering.

Maybe my email did not get through? Or the answer email?
:smiley confused:

What more can we do? Tips?

EDIT: problem solved!

Well, as far as I know, there are only two full-time people at Postcrossing; all the rest are unpaid volunteers. Considering how many postcards are processed every single day (thousands), I reckon that they’re doing their best.

I’m surprised that you’ve had so many cards without stamps or with insufficient postage - over what timescale? With your over 8,000 sent, that would be in the last few weeks, or over ten years?

Abandoned children’s accounts: there is nothing they can do about that. Why complain when there is no validation process for signing up except for the provision of a working email address? IMO children are unlikely to be in this for the long haul. It takes too much time and patience. Personally, I dread getting a profile of a very young child. What to say to them, other than something bland and generic? I’d far rather get a profile of an “Old” person - much more discussion-potential! :upside_down_face:

Anyway, to answer your question. “What more can we do?” I’d lay off the complaints, just shrug off the disappointments. But you already know this! You’ve been here since 2008!

1 Like

@SailingBy
I think you are right.
I informed why I do not register cards and that’s it. A reply is maybe only necessary if I was mistaken. I expect an answer where it is not necessary. Thanks

Had to quote my own post.
Again I got two profiles written in German.
To both I wrote, their profiles should be in English too please. The other didn’t react, so I think she didn’t understand or didn’t care. The other wrote me “Google luck…”.

So, here I think the other one at least think it’s others problem if they don’t understand.
I hope these kind of postcrossers quit very soon :laughing: most likely they don’t care about the message, if they can’t use translator themselves.

I think the problem is, when another member mentions about this, they think it’s only my opinion.
So therefore, better to “complain” to the Postcrossing team.

9 Likes

Well put and spot on. It is in part why I could earn a living as a consultant (often) saying exactly what the employees of the firm had been saying all along.

Also, the Postcrossing team has probably seen it all before. They are always looking to improve the situation and will try to phrase a response based on their experience of what works the best.

1 Like