What's the most you'd pay for a postcard?

No more than a $1 but I’ve paid $2 at Cracker Barrel before.

I’ve definitely spent up to $5 on a 3D postcard or to support an independent artist, but I’ve probably bought fewer than 5 cards in my life like that.

The most I’d spend is $3, but I’d rather keep it to $1. Not including things like postcard books/sets, for tourist cards, I used to think anything more than 3 for $1 was expensive, but times have changed. Now anything less than $1 seems fair.

One local store sells city postcards for $5 each! Sure they’re made by local artists, but postcards are marketed differently from art prints. $5 for a postcard is not worth it, but $5 for a mini art print is, which is funny. Sometimes I think artists don’t realize the difference in use/pricing/marketing.

4 Likes

I would like to spend <$1 usd per postcard. Unfortunately this is kinda rare for postcards other than tourist postcards. I will spend between $3-5 for an exceptional postcard. Truthfully, I keep most of these unless it is a special occasion for a friend or pen pal.

1 Like

If it’s a nice card, I would pay upto $3.5, considering each card in Korea costs about $1.90-2.60. Postcards are not cheap here…:frowning:

Most of the postcards around here (Ohio) or in the sets I buy are $1 or less, with tourist postcards being $0.50 each. Several local artists self-publish tourist postcards at over $4 each, but I’m not a fan of their work. I take pictures myself and prefer my own photos.

Usually, for regular Postcrossing sending, I won’t send a card that cost more than $1.50.

I collect postcards and sometimes buy postcards for my collection, to send to myself from my vacation, or as a present for someone else, and then I’ll spend more. Once, a local charity printed and sold a special postcard to raise money for something and the postcard was $10, so I bought one. I honestly forget what it was about, but I liked the charity and the card, and at the time, I considered the postcard a bonus. Another time, friends and I went to a museum and it turned out the entrance ticket was in the form of a postcard.

2 Likes

I bought a single wooden postcard in Sydney, Australia recently.

It cost AUD10.95 (USD7.17).

I probably will have difficulty letting it go :face_with_hand_over_mouth:!

4 Likes

I totally agree with this. Some postcards I purchase to keep as artwork or mementoes. I’ve paid up to $35 for an unused vintage maxicard from France (1949) My most recent purchase was two promotional postcards in mint condition for a 1997 album by my favourite band, Redd Kross. I paid $20 for those.
Postcards in Australia are generally more expensive than in Europe or the US. I op shop (thrift) a lot of cards and Australia Post maxicards are good value at around $2.75 (this includes postage). An international postcard from Australia is $3 to post . I have purchased cards at around $3 each but I’m fussy about who I send them to.

1 Like

I regularly pay a $1 to $2 for cards. I don’t like to buy many copies of the same card. I enjoy picking out cards for different themes. So, I don’t buy in bulk. :grinning:. I can also purchase tourist view cards for around 3 for a $1. However, I don’t go down to the strip very often so at times I even order those. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In my store, I sell them for $0.49. When I buy them (collections, postcard shows or wholesale), I pay $0.15 - $0.25).

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful card! Where did you find it?

1 Like

Local cards cost about $1-$1.50 a piece
I don’t buy them all that often though - preferring to have my photos printed as postcards

Up to this moment, the most I’ve paid for a card is $3. It was a letterpress card from 早初Entry Time, the Taiwanese postcard café

1 Like

It’s funny with cards from artists - some are for free (!!!) and others far too much for ordinary people to afford. If it’s not a print, but an original, unique card, 6 Euro wouldn’t be too much, though. But I guess, it wasn’t?

I posted somewhere in this topic before. So that’s still my opinion.
Additionally I wanted to add from the other perspective as a receiver: I wouldn’t feel too good knowing someone sent me a really expensive card, without knowing me. And even then, I wouldn’t enjoy the card or enjoy it more, because it is expensive. I love the cards I love, because they touch me in one way or another. And among the cards I received are a few with no cost or very little cost, I really appreciate the most. I wouldn’t wish to trade them for an expensive card that might be worth it, but not touching me.

(Well, on the other hand, there is one card, I don’t know it’s price, but it’s unique, made for me, and the most expensive the sender ever afforded. I love the card and put it in a wood frame, but the reason is all the story around it and the card itself. Not the cost.)

Artists/photographers who rely on their merchandize sales, may charge whatever they feel like. Because they don’t print in bulk but they need to focus on the quality as well. I feel horrible when I buy a postcard that costs $3 and it’s printed on a thin piece of paper. Durability/quality is important because you aren’t sure if your customer will hang it or actually mail it. Postal services do not care if you spent 5 cents or $50 to buy that card.

For a regular postcard, I’d pay up to AUD$5 (€3) if it were a single card from a small artist and for someone I know well and am confident will love it (or for turning into a maxicard for my own collection). But usually I try to stick around $2–$2.50 (€1.5). I most often buy postcards from small local artists but typically in bulk, which brings the price down around there. I mostly buy online and have definitely paid more and then been disappointed by the quality and upset I used so much of my budget on an inferior item, so I’m a little wary spending more these days.

1 Like

I had a similar experience, where I asked for the price of a postcard, and the girl at the counter told me €3.50 (roughly $3.80). I too put it back. That’s way too much for a regular printed card, even if it seemed to be from a local artist. I don’t care if it seems rude if I politely say that that is too much for me, because that IS very expensive for a normal printed postcard. Actually I think it is rude that they ask so much :laughing:

I don’t understand pricing like that. I maybe would buy just one for myself for that price if I find it really really beautiful, but most likely I would just leave it there anyways. But if I find it really really beautiful and it would cost for example €2.00 or even less, then I would buy one for myself, and several for sending. I’m sure I’m not the only one that thinks like that, and that they would make more profit in the end if the cards were priced more reasonably :smirk:

In ~2013 my dad purchased a 8x5 wooden postcard that had been hand burned and painted to show a rustic waterfall. It was like 3/4 inch thick, literally a slab of rough hewn oak. Paid $10 for the “card” and $10 to mail it.

1 Like

Wow, that sounds like a beautiful card. I’ve yet to send my wooden postcard because I still can’t figure out the rules for sending them. Regular stamp? Extra postage? Can you send internationally? No idea. So it just sits in my collection.

@beatriceh

For your reference. I know the thread offers a range of answers :sweat_smile: but it’s possible to send wood cards!

1 Like

I would think it would be 53 + 44 = 97. Certainly not more than 68 + 44 = 1.12?

Read this thread make me realise why there is not many postcards send from Indonesia than expected, considering the population.

Usually, I buy a postcard for not less than Rp4k. See from exchange rate today, it’s about US$0.26 / €0.23 / S$0.34. And about double of it for the postage. So it’s almost US$1 to send a postcard. Considering the mid-low income category, it’s surely can be costly for ordinary people.

Maybe it’s basically combination of slow post service and the total cost to send a postcard that keep participation so low. Indonesia postal service cover area is stretch more than 5000 km from Sumatra to Papua. It’s make the service is so slow and costly :face_holding_back_tears:. Hence the postcards limit progression is very slow.