What's the most you'd pay for a postcard?

I live in Hawaii and I accept that prices will be expensive for postcards. I have paid $5 for a postcard but not often. I choose carefully to whom I mail these to. Most of my postcards are purchased from tourist locations and usually cost between $1.50-$2 each. At these places they usually offer a multi purchase sale, the more you purchase the less it cost per postcard. My most recent purchase in Waikiki, I purchased 20 postcards for $19.

1 Like

Contacting the artist directly is a great idea, they may be able to offer a low price per card if you buy from them directly, or they may offer a discount if you buy multiples. Some artists directly sell on Etsy too.
As an artist, please don’t encourage others to ask artists for “permission” to use their art for free to print their own cards. Artists do art work, and need to be paid for the work they do. Appreciate your understanding on this important issue.

3 Likes

I put them into two categories for myself. If I’m purchasing to send through the mail, I don’t go more than $1-$2. If it is going in my collection, I’ve paid around $30 for Matthew Kirscht Halloween postcards.

To me the collectible market vs the correspondence market of postcards have vastly different price points.

1 Like

I’d pay the ULTIMATE PRICE! :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

I just bought 2 today for 3,95€ / postcard :sweat_smile: but they were cool! I think the most I’ve paid was about 4£ for a wooden postcard last year. If they’re cool, I’ll buy them, but them am a little more picky about to whom I send them (generally someone who is specifically looking for that or will offer here in the trades).

Edit: usually I pay 1-2€/postcard in shops and .50c - 1.50€ / card online.

The most expensive card I’ve ever bought was $1.4 per card (I bought 2). The cardboard was super thick and the image on it was not bad, luckily. I saw the wooden cards near them at the same time, but the price of it was twice as much as them and it couldn’t go through the post system here, so I didn’t buy in the end.

Many members asked for postcards from the origin, so I made efforts and finally found some. I have to admit that the images were very ordinary to the price of $0.7… Still I bought some, and it was odd that I have only received hurray messages saying that they were extremely happy and excited for this beautiful card. Well, accordingly they are worth buying.

P.S. I usually pay $0.4 for one card.

I will pay a bit more for postcards specifically designed and made by artists who I met at fairs and summer exhibits; still, I do not pay more than $4 USD. I can get discounts for unusual postcards online, if I use coupons and codes. I also have some exciting places to burrow through piles of old and vintage postcards here in our city! Those are usually $1 USD or less. The United States Post Office Stamps for sending postcards internationally keeps getting more expensive and I find that painful in my prescribed budget.

I bought expensive 3d lenticular and pop-up postcards for direct swaps - and they matched the price and gave the recipients special emotions!

but I guess it was the most expensive official card I sent: 3,11$, textured paper (although not the densest), made by local artist.

and after all, I don’t think card was worth it (usual price for touristic card 0,77-1,16$). I don’t think I’ll buy another - and I absolutely agree with Elisa - you decided wisely to not buy that card.

Hello,
I found some very nice artsy pictures on pinterest and even found that the artist sells them as postcards. But she charges over 6 Euros for ONE card which I think is way too expensive to even consider buying it.
Also there is this website I like to get my cards from but some of them charge more than 3 euros per card. I think a card shouldn’t cost more than 2 Euro.
How much would you pay for a card if you really really like the picture on it?

1 Like

I’d say $1.5 … maybe? Those would have to be amazing, reserved for one of those profiles where I ‘bond’ with the person after reading it, etc.
Normally … I tend to think of ‘expensive’ starting much over 50 cents each.

do you store your cards in a way that you know which ones were expensive and which were not?

1 Like

I can’t recall any profile where I really bonded with a person so far, most of them are often just lists of does and don’t for a card. I think only one took the time to write something about herself so that you could take that for finding a card.

1 Like

I usually buy postcards from papersisters. It’s 1,15€ per postcard… local postcards cost 1,20€ I have some of those… tourist cards when I am on vacation are usually a little bit cheaper.
I once was in a Hundertwasser house and there postcards. They looked nice, but we’re almost 3€. I was to cheap to buy them :face_with_peeking_eye:

No, but I have bought few cards over 50 cents. I don’t bond all that often, but it has happened. My ‘storage’ is all over the place in different locations. I’m big on rotating the images on my wall as much as possible, so I grab from different sources (piles, boxes, books).

I got some GORGEOUS wooden cards for 500¥ (about $3.30usd) each, but I wouldnt pay more than that I dont think, unless it was something very special.

2 US dollar is the maximum price I accept

No more than a $1 but I’ve paid $2 at Cracker Barrel before.

I’ve definitely spent up to $5 on a 3D postcard or to support an independent artist, but I’ve probably bought fewer than 5 cards in my life like that.

The most I’d spend is $3, but I’d rather keep it to $1. Not including things like postcard books/sets, for tourist cards, I used to think anything more than 3 for $1 was expensive, but times have changed. Now anything less than $1 seems fair.

One local store sells city postcards for $5 each! Sure they’re made by local artists, but postcards are marketed differently from art prints. $5 for a postcard is not worth it, but $5 for a mini art print is, which is funny. Sometimes I think artists don’t realize the difference in use/pricing/marketing.

4 Likes

I would like to spend <$1 usd per postcard. Unfortunately this is kinda rare for postcards other than tourist postcards. I will spend between $3-5 for an exceptional postcard. Truthfully, I keep most of these unless it is a special occasion for a friend or pen pal.

1 Like

If it’s a nice card, I would pay upto $3.5, considering each card in Korea costs about $1.90-2.60. Postcards are not cheap here…:frowning: