What, where or who is on this postcard? [Help Center]

Hi! :wave:

Sometimes we are curious about the image of a postcard but there isn’t any information attached to its description. While going on a rabbit hole through a web investigation can be fun, it’s not always possible.

Here you can ask for help from fellow postcrossers if you need to decipher the whats, whos and wheres (maybe the whens and whys, too?) of a postcard you received or came across somewhere else.

2 Likes

I’ll go first. Can anyone help me with this person’s identity? This face is familiar but I don’t know the name. :sweat_smile:

@alter3ch0
If I’m not mistaken, that’s Kemal Atatürk, the first president of Turkey!

7 Likes

Great idea!

The other tool I use for text is a language script converter.

I used it to identify the text on an interesting stamp I received on a postcard from Russia recently. I identified each of the letters in Russian & then it gave me an English version & I then looked it up with a search engine.

https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/russian.htm

4 Likes

That’s Mustafa Kemal Atatuerk, the founder of modern Turkey

2 Likes

Thank you @Bayrisches-Madl and @260aaron! Always learning. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ah, that’s a useful tool @LC-Canada! Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

With my rusty French, I would translate this as “I like very much romance/love books for teenagers” :slight_smile:

There is also a separate topic just for translations, if you need help in the future :slight_smile:

@lizilizzie, I see you found the translation topic already :smiley:

2 Likes

@delenn_mir is correct, the person said “I really love romance books for teenagers”, which here we’d call romance YA (young adult) fiction.

1 Like

Help wanted, for a postcard received from probably Germany. Picturing a city point where 3 rivers come together. Two larger ones, one smaller.

Does any one knoe which city this could be?

Tips about two or more rivers flow in one together are welcome as well.

I did not upload the card, I did not check if I kept this card. If I have thrown it away I will regret now. I am disorganised.

Passau ist called the City of Three Rivers, so maybe the postcard was from Passau.

2 Likes

In Koblenz there’s the Deutsches Eck, where Rhine and Mosel meet, but that’s only two rivers.

My first thought was also of Passau, bur according to this German Wikipedia link, there are a few other options in Germany of cities/towns that are at the confluence of three rivers. You can also see the names of the respective rivers listed behind each place name (Stadt = city):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drei-Fl%C3%BCsse-Stadt