What to do if a card is travelling for a while?

Oke, Many thanks. I know this info was somewhere but i couldnt Find it

I have a card traveling to China for 61 days now. Iā€™m not worried, specially since today Iā€™ve received a card from Australia that has been traveling for 69 daysā€¦ Iā€™m in the Netherlands.

Sometimes, postcards take a long time to arrive, specially now due to the pandemic.

A little bit off topic now, I donā€™t think it happens only with some specific countries. My postcards usually take around 2 months to arrive in their destination and 1 in 10 people write me a thank you message saying it took a long time to got my card. I had even a person who told me in advance that postcards from Brazil usually take too much time to arrive in Germany. I must say this is kind of annoying and even a bit rude, since time is relative. Itā€™s snail mail for a reason and, since we are talking about two different countries, 2 months look a reasonable amount of time to me. To give you an example, my postcards usually take only 1 month to arrive in Russia, 6-8 weeks to Germany and more than 2 months to USA. So, maybe the problem isnā€™t only with Brazilian or Russian mail service.:tipping_hand_woman:t3:

Just to make it clear, Iā€™m not writing it to anybody here, Iā€™m just venting. Haha. :grin:

@meylinhares: Saying that a card takes too much time to travel indeed isnā€™t fair, as the sender isnā€™t responsible for the duration.

I just had a look at my stats: My cards to Brazil took 25 days on average, and from Brazil 35 days. There were cards arriving in under a month.

As there are slower counrties in my stats, I also might write something about the long travel time when a card arrives after two months - but itā€™s meant like a statement about snail mail, not like a reproach. :thinking: I understand that it might be read like criticism, Iā€™ll be more careful in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@Cassisia Thanks for sharing your experience! :slightly_smiling_face: Iā€™m sure the people who say that to me are not trying to be rude. Itā€™s just something I hear all the time and annoys me a little bit.

1 Like

@meylinhares Iā€™m having this strange phenomenon lately where letters from my Brazilian penpal take two weeks to get to me. Iā€™m in Singapore, thatā€™s literally half a world away! ā€¦ Meanwhile, things from Germany are taking a month :joy:

Back on topic, as Iā€™ve said in other posts, worrying about any card before 3 months doesnā€™t quite make senseā€¦

Oh, my cards are not getting through to the Netherlands. At all. I have two at over 100 days :sob:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s so strange! I have a penpal in Singapore and Iā€™m receiving the post just fine. Iā€™m in the Netherlandsā€¦ Hope your cards will arrive soon too!

1 Like

30 days isnā€™t excessively long for Russia. My cards take anywhere between 15 and 90 days to get there.

1 Like

I just hit the 50 day mark with three of the five postcards I sent when I first joined. Such is the way mail goes. At least when they expire Iā€™ll be able to send some new ones.

1 Like

So I have a few postcards that have been traveling for over a month now. Obviously international can take awhile, but I even have 1 domestic thatā€™s over a month now (US). What do you all do in these situations? Do you send another in case it got lost - or Maybe the Id was missing or washed off? Or do you just let it ride and see if it works itself out. Iā€™m pretty new to post crossing so just curious as to any input.

I just wait. Sometimes, mail gets lost or goes on a longer journey than it should, sometimes people take a break from the site. See if it works itself out because it often does.

If the ID did wash off, the person on the other end can contact Postcrossing staff and they will help them find the right ID. Iā€™ve done it in the past with incomplete IDs and Postcrossing has always gotten back to me very quickly.

In the meantime, you can always send cards through the forums here if youā€™re itching for more cards and youā€™re at your limit!

1 Like

You can find a lot of answers here.
Personally I donā€™t do anything. Nowadays it seems to be normal that cards I send outside Europe travel over a month.

1 Like

Just wait. Sometimes cards take a year to arrive, sometimes they get lost, sometimes they travel very fast. Itā€™s all in the game :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed travelling times from Finland to me in Singapore are very long, even 3-4 months in a couple of occasions, Last time I received from Finland, it was 4 cards on the same day, 3 of them travelled almost exactly a month, and one of them 4 months.

You should never lose hope, especially not after a month or two :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

This was my card from Finland to China, the receiver told they was in a hospital for a long time and couldnā€™t register cardsā€¦

2 Likes

I sent this postcard to Russia in April. It took 164 days to arrive. The recipient hadnā€™t logged on for months so I was very pleasantly surprised.

1 Like

Yes, Russia can take a long time, but so far every card Iā€™ve sent there has arrived safely. Two did expire, but then were registered within a month after the expiry date. Iā€™m always grateful when late expiries get registered, and appreciate there isnā€™t much the recipient can do about their postal system :slight_smile:

I have much worse luck with cards to China: fully half of mine have expired and were never registered. Of course I try to improve the cardsā€™ chance of arrival by using the Chinese-language (hanzi) label whenever one is provided, but that isnā€™t always provided. Sending cards to China is always an exercise in hoping against hope!

1 Like