What time does WPD start?

Hi! I think if you draw an address during October 1st your time, you should qualify for the badge! Based on what was said here:

It should extend from your timezone through to the UTC timezone!

4 Likes

I’m in Australia and still get confused with this. When should I send my postcards so that they count?

Both is fine: Oct 1 in your timezone and Oct 1 UTC (“Postcrossing Time”)

1 Like

Thanks for the answers and Happy World Postcrossing Day everybody. Cheers

3 Likes

According to the knowledge I got from geography classes and the information from Internet:
Some members from Kiribati and Samoa (UTC +14) may be the first members to welcome WPD. And it will last until the WPD of postcrossing is gone. So they have a 38 hours long WPD! Sadly we don’t have active members there;(
So the next will be members in Tonga, New Zealand (summer time) and Fiji (summer time). They’ll have 37 hours (UTC +13) to get the badge, if they want. (Only countries with members count.) Do summer time counts in this WPD system, however?
If we don’t count countries which have special time zones or using summer time, the first group of members to enjoy WPD will be in Tonga, New Zealand, Fiji, Anadyr (Russia), Tuvalu, Wake island (USA), Kamchatka (Russia). They will have a 36 hours long WPD.
By contrast, as for members using UTC -10(No active members using UTC-11, sorry!), they will have 34 hours. They may be in Cook Islands, Tahiti (French Polynesia) and Hawaii.
Members using UTC+0 will have only 24 hours, lol. If you are interested in it, they will be in Iceland, UK, Ireland, Portugal, Senegal, Gambia, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Togo, Sao Tome and Principe.

It’s just like welcoming the new year in turn…:face_with_monocle:

6 Likes

Not quite true, because some of these countries (like Portugal) use summer time, which is one hour ahead of UTC. :sweat_smile: Timezones are tricky.

That said, everyone has at least 24 hours, so don’t stress about it too much! Just request your addresses during your October 1st, and it’ll be ok.

5 Likes

I just drown addresses for WPD as the countdown showed WPD hooray… but on my list it shows i drown them still on 30/09 ;/

6 Likes

same :confused:

1 Like

Same here :slightly_frowning_face: :wink:

1 Like

If it’s Oct 1 in your time zone, it should supposedly be fine, regardless of Postcrossing time.

3 Likes

Postcrossing time is UTC so it’s still before midnight in that timezone and that is why you are seeing 30.09 - but for WPD, these addresses will count as it’s after midnight in all of your countries already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Still i would like to see my real timestamp :confused: I wouldn’t mind have to use UTC time as long as the countdown is there :slight_smile:
Now it is confusing :frowning:

1 Like

Postcrossing runs on UTC time, they can’t change the whole system for one day eh? And Ana’s explanation is pretty clear - you’ll get your badge. And yes, it is confusing, lol

3 Likes

What is UTC?

2 Likes

What @LC-Canada said. Haha. For our intents and purposes, it’s ‘Postcrossing’ Time. Somewhere around 5pm Pacific is 12am UTC

1 Like

Haha I’m still confused! It’s 12:10am here and I drew an address and it says 30 Sep in my travelling BUT I’LL TRUST THE SYSTEM :joy:

2 Likes

It is October 1, 1 am where I am and on Postcrossing it is still September 30. I still have some free slots and will try again in the morning :sweat_smile: but just like you, I will trust Postcrossing no matter what :v:

1 Like