What languages do you write in?

I do something similar - usually start with Hejsan:sweden: (Hello) and end with HƤlsingar:sweden: (Greetings). Iā€™m writing from Sweden, so I see it as a nice touch (and reminder that this new country is my country now).

1 Like

Generally, I use either English or German when writing postcards, but on the rare occasion I pull a Japanese address, I also write in Japanese.

Usually, most of the cards I write in German go to Europe, but lately, Iā€™ve gotten a couple of addresses of people in the US who are learning German, so for those, I usually start off with English and add a sentence or two with German, too. Sometimes I do forget word genders and have to refer to a dictionary, hahahah!

Iā€™ve listed Spanish on my profile, but so far I havenā€™t received any cards written in Spanish and Iā€™ve only written one card in Spanish, which fewer Postcrossers speak than I had imagined.

:rofl: Youā€™ll have to ask my husband, who has been learning Polish for most of the year. I hear him do his lessons and then every time complain and swear that none of the grammar or syntax makes any senseā€¦ (He loves Poland and Polish culture, and no matter how much he complains he still keeps studying the language.)

2 Likes

:joy::joy: it seems that All the language in Eastern Europe are hardā€‹(Hungarian is harder):rofl:
I have also studied languages like French and I find so hard to learn,but I am still learning that,maybe it is also because I am crazy about the language :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I write in English most of the time, but sometimes I will write in Chinese or Japanese as well. I tend to gravitate towards English because there are too many strokes in Chinese and Japanese. :rofl:

I have written a few Korean words to Korean Postcrossers too, but I never got far beyond ā€œhelloā€ and ā€œhave a nice dayā€, as the Korean word formation is really hard for a non-native.

I wouldnā€™t consider Hungarian a typical Eastern Europe language though, itā€™s from Finno-Ugric group, so itā€™s more like Estonian or Finnish.:thinking: These languages are also quite hard to learn (I donā€™t even try :joy:).

2 Likes

I write in English unless the recipient is Czech or Slovak. Then I use Czech as it would be really weird to talk to them in English :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

If I know the personā€™s native language well enough to write in it (or if we share the same mother tongue) I always do! Itā€™s fun to get some practice, and people usually write their hurray message in that same language and seem genuinely happy I made the effort.

I have also gotten a few profiles recently where English was not listed in their ā€œlanguage spokenā€ section, so I tried my best to write in their language (so far German and Russian). The German people were excited I wrote in German, the Russian speakers have not gotten their cards yet so I hope theyā€™ll understand my mangled Cyrillic :joy: Iā€™ve studied many languages and I love languages and linguistics so this brings me joy :blush:

Iā€™ve noticed though that I rarely get a card in any of the languages I list on my profile (including my mother tongue), I wish it happened more often!

2 Likes

I mostly write in English. Occasionally Iā€™ve written in French, but only if the profile requests it.

I write mainly in English, but sometimes in schoolgirl French, and very simple Russian, and a tiny bit of German (mostly in thank-you messages). I studied those languages many, many years ago.

I mostly write in English, but sometimes I write in Chinese (either simplified or traditional) if the receiver requests. I even once wrote in Wu Chinese (吓čÆ­) to a postcrosser requesting rare languages.

I usually write in English and Chinese (both simplified and traditional)ā€¦ trying to write a bit here and there in Korean and Thai as well, since Iā€™m learning both languages. :heart:

I usually write in English or Portugueseā€¦ But if necessary i can also write in Spanish or French :slight_smile:

Oh, and I forgotā€¦ Sometimes I write ŠŸŃ€ŠøŠ²ŠµŃ‚ or ŠœŠ½Šµ Š½Ń€Š°Š²Šøтся Š¼ŃƒŠ·Ń‹ŠŗŠ° Š›ŠµŠ¾Š½ŠøŠ“Š° Š¤Ń‘Š“Š¾Ń€Š¾Š²Š° (or something like this). But itā€™s mostly a single word or phrase. Russian is very beautiful in my opinion though.

English is 1st choice. My native tongue is Wu Dialect in East China. But we use common Chinese, which is mandarin for writing the cards to Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and someone who understands Chinese in Singapore, Malaysia and somewhere else. :grin:

I normally write in English, but sometimes in Chinese too. Once, I had to write a postcard to someone living in Quebec City in Canada, and she didnā€™t speak English, only French. Thus, I used google translate to write everything, and it was a interesting experience.

I generally write in English and Chinese (trad and simplified, depending on who I write to) but I do mix a bit of Korean, Thai and Japanese when I write to friends from those countries ā€¦

I can only speak English and Finnish so I usually write in English since usually only Finns know Finnish

I write in English or German. I also like addresses written in Russian since I was pretty fluent in Russian until my teens. But since I havenā€™t used it for more than 30 years only a few words remained. I can still read it and write it but it makes no sense :laughing:. I still have the earrings my Russian penpal sent me. Some things stay forever. :heart_eyes:

I write German to people in Germany or to people abroad who speak German.

As I have also Italian roots, I write Italian to Italians / people speaking Italian (sadly I forgot a lot of grammar since I donā€™t speak it regularly anymore; and as my father came from a little village in Italy with a, hm, ā€œindividualā€ slang, of course I speak more of that slang ^^).

Sometimes I use a little bit of French (left over from school French) and Romanian (my former boss came from Romania and we had a lot of Romanian patients who didnā€™t speak a word of German). Just short, simple sentences.

And recently I re-started learning Swedish, but, so far, I can tell only that Iā€™m a woman and that I like apples :rofl: (and of course Good Morning, Good Evening etc.).