What kind of Excel files/lists did you create for Postcrossing?

I am a lover of lists and Excels.

I was wondering if there’s someone out there who created an Excel file solely for Postcrossing or anything else in relation to postcards or the art of sending postcards.

Did you create any Excel files in order to facilitate your postcard process/system?

If yes, what kind?

6 Likes

I am from generation XP so new Excel is kind of not that comfortable for me :face_with_peeking_eye: with but but but I recently made a table in Word Document to keep a track of everything. :sweat_smile: And life is so much easier. I anyway followed docs to maintain addresses since I started this in 2023.

But i am most comfortable with a journal
And I have made two journals specifically for postcrossing & postcrossing forum :sweat_smile:
Please tell me I am NOT the only one :sweat_smile::joy:

Edited and added

If anyone wants to know how I maintain

For postcrossing and others

ID | Country | UN | Date sent | Date recieved | Days travelled

For Postcrossing RR & forums

RR name/Tag name | Country | UN | Date Sent | Date Recieved | Days travelled

Any ideas pls do provide

8 Likes

I have an excel file recording all my trades and tags! :grin:

How should I put it :thinking: I prefer things to end nicely(?) I note down all the dates that I sent those postcards, so when times passed by, lets say few months later, I can pm the recipients to see if they have received their postcards! If not, I will resend :wink:

I also record down some of my collections in excel, so I don’t have to go through my received postcards everytime during trades/tags :blush:

2 Likes

Journal? It sounds like huge project, what a commitment :+1:

1 Like

Not at all dear. I just edited and shared the format ^^
Easier to write than to type and make table etc :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been doing the same since 2015.
Every card in this table has URL to its photo, so I try avoid using the same stamps to every person.
Now I prefer Google table

2 Likes

Also i ACTUALLY maintain quite a few journals. One is my daily log takes me 1 mins to fill what I did all day. I decorate it when I am free :sweat_smile: another is my scrapbooking journal which I do on special days with items from that day and recently I started adding photos. Then there is a keepsake journal with all tags and all, which I recently turned into my stamp collection journal. And I have few more like lists and quotes :face_with_peeking_eye: it takes really less time. Or maybe it’s just me.

5 Likes

:astonished: I’m impressed! I couldn’t even decorate the cover for my photo album with stickers nicely :joy:

1 Like

Wow! That’s huge… In comparison, I only type down words :sweat_smile: I know that one of my PC friend is doing something similar too! She also takes down every photos of sent postcards to avoid repeated stamps to same person, but she keeps photos instead of making into excel with URL :laughing: She did advised me to do so, but I… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Trust me it is so hard to take photos and upload them thanking people already :face_with_peeking_eye:as much as I like to stay active but procrastination and the tedious job of taking pics and posting that is so tiring :face_with_peeking_eye:

The trick is in the art of letting go. We often compare what we see on social media with ours. Nah we don’t need that kind of a pressure in life. Your journal is YOUR JOURNAL, made by you for you and about you. So let go of your own self criticism and embrace the mess and chaos. It’s either way beautiful and the most unique as it can’t be replicated ever :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Yeah me too!!! I used to take photos for official and forum’s trades/tags/RR to thank them, now I only take official’s :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: For forum, I only write thank you messages now :face_with_peeking_eye:

Excel makes it easier because sometimes they forgot to write down IDs or from which tag/RR/trades :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Wow, thank you for sharing! It’s great that you did this as soon as you started!

1 Like

Ah… such a lovely gesture. Thank you for sharing your kindness to the world!

1 Like

Such a great idea! Taking photos to avoid duplicate stamps… I will pick up that one! :heart_eyes:

For the series I collect I have created an Excel sheet so I can see on one glance what cards I already have and which ones are still missing.

2 Likes

I have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my cards to be sent, sent, travelling and received.
I always list the person I’m doing the swap with, country, I link the message chain here on the forum, what card I’m sending, what I’m receiving, whether I sent/received proof if it was agreed, and when they received their card and when I receive mine. Out of curiosity I have also added a time tracker to see how many days roughly it takes to different countries from my country, though I have mostly sent to USA and Germany, so the data for other countries isn’t so rich :smile:

Wow i grew up when we were still writing on rocks - so i keep a notebook

7 Likes

Thanks for all the great ideas. I am new to Postcrossing and am getting to the point where I need to be more organized. Like @Bakersmom I come from the stone age and prefer having written records, but I have thought about doing an Excel sheet as well. You all have given me some idea of how to set that up.

1 Like

Check here for more idea

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/how-do-you-keep-track-of-your-trades-and-swaps/20424/3

2 Likes