What is the longest you have waited for a postcard?

I’ve only sent 2 so far and gotten one. How long do you usually wait before you call it a day and send another postcard?

5 Likes

Welcome to Postcrossing! :postcrossing:
Alas, it takes a while before the rhythm of the algorithm starts to work for you. I joined last year and it was nearly 2 months before I started to have cards roll in. Mail is, it seems [everywhere], slow. :turtle:
I found a great way to get more postal joy by participating in various forums. There are quite a few to choose from. Maybe you want to exchange cards within North America. Or, maybe you want to join All About Women. Or, maybe you would have fun with Just Postcards. These are but a few of the many fun fora to participate with.
While the :clock1: ticks on the :snail: :postcard: .
Have a look. I am certain you’ll find something you’ll enjoy!

4 Likes

Thank you - great advice! Just starting to learn from the forums now as well.

1 Like

I’d suggest you send all the slots that you can Laurie, the sooner you do that & your cards arrive at their destination, the sooner the total numbers of cards you can send goes up.

And of course then once yours arrive at their destination, then your address is released to others who can send you cards.

It will take a while for that to happen, so yes, doing swaps, playing tags or joining lotteries etc on the Forum can be fun while you’re waiting.

2 Likes

I got one that was sent december 2020 last week. so almost a year

6 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Sames, I got 3 like that this year- all over 1 year travelling.

1 Like

The longest I can recall was a swap from India that arrived after one and a half years :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi @Wynnie!

It’s nice to ‘meet’ another Postcrossing newbie. I joined up in early September. It’s been a real eye-opener…with respect to postage delays. I rarely sent mail overseas prior to Postcrossing, so I had no idea how long it was taking.

I’ve sent seven cards officially so far. One to Germany and one to the US both arrived in about three weeks. My other five are still travelling, and taking their time.

I keep going and looking at the stats of other Australian Postcrossers to see how long their cards are taking to arrive at similar destinations to mine. And it appears my wait times are well within the average right now. And I probably have longer to go :tired_face:. I haven’t received any official cards yet either.

In the meantime I’ve joined a bunch of lotteries and made some direct swaps too. I’ve received six cards this way and had four of my cards received so far. I have several still travelling that way too!

I also set up the ‘Bingo for new members in 2021’ thread. It’d be great if you wanted to join us there… if you’re interested in Bingo. There’s not many of us yet. Just four. But already someone is getting close to their first milestone of 30 different countries sent to. So some mail is moving…which is nice to see :grimacing:!

Best wishes,
Sam.

5 Likes

Can you share the from/to country please ?

Last year mail between Poland and Australia travelled by ship only. Back then it took postcards some 150 days to bridge the distance between our countries! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Australia and China take a very long time I’ve noticed, in comparison to other countries. I send from the Netherlands.

2 Likes

This week I received two postcards, sent from two differerent
countries that each took 132 days to arrive! (I wonder if they
were lost in the local post office).

2 Likes

I just received one from Russia sent in February from @MaxaS

1 Like

2 weeks ago I received a card from Vatican City which takes around 4 months to arrive.

2 Likes

I just received a note from a Postcrosser. Cards from Japan are traveling by ship. So, a bit of a wait.

4 Likes

Sure. My fast one was to Germany and then from New Zealand. Then the second one was sent to Russia and registered. Then it’s been about a month since then.

I just got one from China drawn in May but mailed in late June…

Oooh, I hope I eventually get one from Japan. I went there for a summer school trip once and I think they might be the most artistic and “beauty-minded” people on the planet. I was so impressed!

Today, I received and registered a postcard from the Ukraine that had been travelling for 354 days! Eleven more and it would have fallen off the system.

2 Likes