What does "non-RAS" mean?

…What does “(non-RAS)” mean in the title of this category?

It basically means anything that is not fitting in the Random Acts of Smileness category.

1 Like

Hi @TurtlePoint ! I’m glad your question got answered :blush:

For the sake of tidyness, I’ve moved your post to a more appropriate part of the forum.
You can also find lots of other definitions here:

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/trades-requests-and-offers-definitions-wiki/349044

I hope that helps! :blush:

4 Likes

The difference between RAS and non-RAS is a bit sketchy.

Most of what you can find in the #trades-requests-offers:spread-the-joy is non-RAS. It even has non-RAS in brackets behind it.

An RAS topic is the Random Acts of Smileness (RAS) Round Robin: Send a Smile! and whenever a forum member decides to randomly send a postcard to another forum member, that is called a Random Act of Smileness aka RAS.

When, however, someone arranges swaps for other people to send mail surprises to senior homes, family members, sick friends, weddings, etc. outside of Postcrossing: Those are called non-RAS.

But many postcrossers use the terms interchangingly.

And here’s a friendly reminder to always ask for permission if you want to share someone’s address, for we want to spread joy and not heart attacks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I kept reading it as “RAS - but - NOT RAS”, which I just couldn’t make sense of. Your key explanation was this:

When, however, someone arranges swaps for other people to send mail surprises to senior homes, family members, sick friends, weddings, etc. outside of Postcrossing : Those are called non-RAS.

Maybe this could be edited into the formal definitions?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.