What does my mail delivery person think about all of my postcards?

My route doesn’t have a regular carrier. I think a lot of times it’s staffed by fill-ins who do it after their own regular route. Delivery time during the day varies wildly, maybe 9am one day and 5:30pm the next day. I doubt any of them care what they’re putting in my mailbox.

2 Likes

I have no idea what she thinks, she’s too quick for me to go out and ask her. But she comes earlier and earlier each day, so I hope she’ll be our delivery person forever!

2 Likes

My box is in a bank of boxes, and I open mine with a key. A postcard vendor sent me a “Thank you Postal Carrier” sticker. I have stuck the sticker just inside my mailbox, next to my name. So far, the sticker has not been removed. Most days we have the same carrier and she is very good, yet very busy and hurried. She waves and I wave back. I get the impression that she would likely like to visit if she had a minute, but these days the world seems to operate at the speed of light…

3 Likes

I see my postman most days because I’m still working from home. He asked why me and my daughter started getting so many postcards. I explained about postcrossing and him and his wife are now postcrossing as well. We chat a few times a week about who has had what cards from where.

11 Likes

If I remember correctly, @Nique and @cremebrulee are mail carriers and like postcrossing.
I usually do not see the mail carriers here, for I am at work when they come.

3 Likes

I wrote about my anecdotes with my mail carriers in this thread.

Still funny to remember when the postwoman told me I had this hobby because I have a weird name :rofl:

2 Likes

Lately my posties change quite often, and usually I am at work when the post is delivered. So don’t normally get to speak to any of my posties.

Earlier this year, just as I became active on the postcrossing forum with Tags and Round-Robins, plus I was due a number of offical postcards.

It was pouring with rain and the van turns up, the postie delivered a parcel, a rubber banded bundle of postcards and a few letters, prior to doing the rounds in the area. Never seen a postie smile so much. :blush:

I’ve had one negative experience, and it was at the post office. I posted out a few parcels and as an after thought, asked the clerk to cancel the stamps on a few postcards, but proceeded to read my postcards before reluctantly checking and handstamping the stamps before posting.

5 Likes

i was just heading out to go to the mailbox with all my cards as the mail carrier was in my street. not the cute one but the very kind one. she said oohh so you are kyra. she thought i might’ve traveled a lot so i told her about postcrossing, she was very excited. and she took the cards from me so now i’m inside again with my pyjama pants :grin: usually here the mail carriers don’t take the mail that needs to go out, so that’s very nice. unless she’s planning on reading all my weird and random messages :sweat_smile:

well that’s a bit strange. i don’t mind if people are curious and read or look a bit, but like that is unnecessary.

6 Likes

Indeed, there was an awkward silence as she read my postcards, I thought any second now I’ll expect the ‘Spanish Inquisition’ on why I am sending postcards with fancy stamps to far flung places in the world. She was kind of rude and I wasn’t in the mood to explain postcrossing to her.

I know with postcards, somewhere along the line in the mail stream it’s going to briefly be read. But to do it right under you nose, urrggh :unamused:

I no longer use that Post Office, I have a nicer relationship with a PO team nearer to my work who stock special issue stamps, and look forward to seeing the stamps I use on my postcards.

5 Likes

My postie never asks. I think I will tell him to kill his curiosity. My mailbox is huge so I used to leave all my outgoing mail. But now I just cross the street and leave my outgoing postcards in the post office for privacy purpose.

1 Like

@postmuse. I would love to send your post Office a postcard would that be frown upon? To spread the joy

I love hearing all these stories. As I’ve also been working from home since last year, I’ve now had the opportunity to meet my postie, he often rings the bell to deliver a package, so I get to say hello at least once a week. So I asked what he thought about my postcards and he said they liked delivering them as it made a change from what’s mostly bills and junk mail these days, and he clearly seemed to be familiar with postcrossing too. And I have also received one or two misdirected local postcards which I was able to hand deliver to their rightful recipients.

4 Likes

I’ll link to a post of mine on another topic about my maillady :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

10 Likes

I get other people’s postcards sometimes in my mailbox too. If it was just delivered I will run after the mailman and give it back. But yesterday I got someone’s card and couldnt catch the mailman anymore. Checked the address and I saw it on the way i usually walk when going to the city. So I walked down today and delivered the postcard myself! :blush:

2 Likes

Today I watched the mailman stop at my house. He checked both his postbags confused… checked again, just to be sure…no cards… both me and him disappointed :wink:

7 Likes

I live in an apartment complex. Since I join (too) many RR and tags I almost always have postcards and there is almost always a stack in the outgoing box. My mailman has never mentioned it but once a neighbor received a stack of my cards and since we usually pick up mail at the same time the neighbor brought me my stack. I often wonder after a very busy weekend what the postman thinks when he opens the outgoing mail bin and it is full of postcards.

3 Likes

I recently moved into an apartment complex, and occasionally I see the mail man come thought. He definitely remarked that he noticed a lot of postcards I receive, and that made my day. So I think he is aware, and he think it is cool, since I send out a number of postcards.

2 Likes

I live in an apartment building, and in order for the postman to put mail in my mailbox, he needs to go to the common entrance. So I gave him the key to the intercom. But postmen change frequently and do not always pass on the key to the next colleague. So sometimes I have to make an extra key and hand it over to the new postman.
I don’t know what they think of my postcards, but the postman who works now is just terrible. At summer he left my mail three times on the street near the entrance door. :rage: I’m sure some of the postcards were lost. I spoke to him, he assured me that he had the key and that he put postcards in my mailbox. Either he lied, or he is a genius in confusion. Anyway, I had to get a PO Box because I don’t want my mail to get lost or get caught in rain and snow :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I believe he hates me I don’t have a car so I don’t get to pick the stamps out I put this envelope in the mail and
Then the post Office put the stamps on for me.

Fill it the envelope out

I put it in my mailbox Like this and then I get what ever money back in a different envelope the next day.

1 Like

My Postman said to me one day, with curios face: whoo are you? Why all that letters and postcards from different places and people!??? I laughed a lot and i explained him that i’m an happy postcrosser😂.

8 Likes