What do you think about images created by the neural network? Poll in Post #82

Please, try to understand that AI steals.

Here is an example of well known and loved artist J.B Monge who does not have given any permission to use his art. And yet there it is. .

https://www.instagram.com/p/CowuvA-oPmP/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

9 Likes

Also, i believe some of the …or maybe many… post-stone.com postcards are made with AI… specially that “Adventurer” set. What you guys think?
You really can’t be sure anymore… i haven’t never ordered from there but i have visited the site couple of times.

And these are made with AI ( they tell that at least) but i wont buy from this finnish store anything, ever :rofl::point_up:

2 Likes

I have never heard of this store, but there is a filter by authors. I’m sorry, i just don’t want to check this store, but in any case, the authors are indicated there. What made people doubt?

It doesn’t take from just the public domain. It steals from commissioned and private artwork, too. Just because it is posted publicly does not mean it belongs to everyone, just the person who created it. There is a HUGE difference between art made for free use and art made for an individual.

12 Likes

To quote Pablo Picasso: “Good artists copy, great artists steal.” It’s a centuries old tradition, but now with computers thrown into the mix.

2 Likes

That’s funny, those pictures look like if a scene inside of a dream could be captured, that photos would look like this… :thinking: Since human brain is a very complex machine, we might perceive it as beautiful. Even more beautiful than real paintings would be? :thinking:

Here’s a few illustrations from The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsburg. They’re his illustrations, but I could understand if someone assumed that they had been generated by A.I.

1 Like

These don’t look AI generated to me at all :face_with_monocle: ( looks more like he is using 3d modeling and digital painting ) but who knows these days anymore :rofl:

1 Like

It’s on par with a daydream, so to speak.

I’m in favor.

1 Like

To me, these two pictures (one A.I. generated, one human generated) seem similar both stylistically and aesthetically. (Mr. Van Allsburg hand-draws or paints his images-on paper, not on a computer screen).

aib

I would rather prefer not to receive a card made by AI since its a very cheap move moreover any AI piece is essentially a mix of styles and works of hundreds of artist who were never credited for it.

Also, if you look at the attached pictures closer, you’ll find some uncanny details such as how many legs the sheeps have and weirdly shaped birds, or building structures that actually don’t make sense.

You might protest that “modern art made by human hands sometimes don’t make sense too” but at least it has a message from the author. AI art does not.

10 Likes

To me those two look really different. The one with polar express is much richer in details and the lighting is way better.
I’d rather have said the one with the reindeerslooks a bit like AI. The two with the trains to me are more like a proof that up until know artists can do it better.

I accidentally ordered from this place :smile: , because I mixed the names with another shop.
And thought how could I come up with this place (I noticed I had received a card from here, and like it, so the name came from there.) The cards I have, have the artist name. (But can it be then they just “created” it? Well, I don’t want to accuse anyone, so I’m just thinking.)

I don’t have any from the adventurer set though (for some reason I thought they are connected to a fairy tale, so I didn’t buy any, because I don’t know about it.) What makes you feel it could be AI generated?
I think some of the cards there have the steampunkish style, that makes it look not “real” and maybe the AI vibe. (To me some of the cards from there have the really nice touch of “not too trained” artist, which I often like.)

I would love to buy cards made by the real artist. Once I bought cards that had been copied from old christmas card. I felt so bad and guilty, even I was not sure if they were any copyrighted or original enough. Also once I planned ordering from a shop, but they had their own “Moomin” cards, without any copyrights :frowning: it’s sad. I couldn’t support such shop. But I’m sure this happens without me knowing.

The AI generated sheep card is really creepy :sweat_smile:

(Edit. I noticed there was a small lightning shaped image in some of cards in Post stone, but I don’t know if it’s a logo of the artist or just some weirdness? I don’t have it in any of my cards, so I can’t check if the artist would be the same.)

3 Likes

I noticed some of the cat cards had very AI quality to them. Eyes look a bit weird, they bleed into the background (e.g. the cat on the windowsill) and yes, that lightning on the forehead. There are just some small things that caught my eye that I don’t think an artist would do, but a computer would :sweat_smile: And all the card that look a bit shady aren’t credited to an artist, but to Post Stone.

2 Likes

I chatted with post.stone at IG and he/ she said that " Yes, we have made with AI too." I actually shamed them not to mention it!

Adventurer set have some AI style details and it might have done using j.b monge’s name in generator or someone similar. Im pretty sure that set is done with Ai

@Idler is totally right.
i think all the under poststone name is Ai. ( If you go artist filter and choose poststone) You just spot it. .

3 Likes

Maybe it’s the lightning is mark of AI program?

@Syyksen, to me some of the cards, maybe the traveller ones too, reminded of book with illustration by Gennadi Spirin - so I think that’s why I thought it’s a fairy tale! There is no such thing even hinted, so I have only assumed.

Yes, all the “suspicious” cards are under Post Stone name.
I hope they will be open to their customers about this. (In their site.)

3 Likes

They said that artist name /method is mentioned in the back side of card. But that is not enough. I said to them that it should be visible in their site too,before customer buy the card. I hope they figured that out…

4 Likes

I have to be honest, and say that I have never heard of how neural networks could “create” artwork. I just wanted to say thank you @Dark_ for posting about it, and everybody else for the really interesting discussion and information! I’m really learning something here :open_mouth:

5 Likes

I asked an A.I. text to image generator to create a “Postcrossing postage stamp,” and this is what it created. Apparently it “thought” I had asked it to produce “a landscape in the style of Claude Monet if Mr. Monet had just misplaced his eyeglasses.”

2 Likes

Hmm, i think it could take his style? Or another artist’s style? But it looks nice, imho