What costs more in your country, postcards or postage?

That’s amazing (not in a good way)! For that price, I hope the cards arrive the next day!

2 Likes

I see. Yes, in this case the prices really differ. There is an art salon in my city, and it sells a set of author’s postcards by a local artist (20 pieces). It costs only 100 rubles. And these are the only postcards with views of my city and almost the only ones that are generally sold offline here. So online shopping is my main source :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In Ireland we don’t have different rates for international postage it’s €2.20 doesn’t matter if it’s going to the UK or it’s going to Timbuktu or the North Pole. I started postcrossing in 2017 it was €1.20 it’s doubled in price.

8 Likes

€34 for 20 cards that’s daylight robbery now in all fairness

4 Likes

Prices of postcards vary, in general the range is from Rp 3500 (0.23 USD) to Rp 9000 (0.59 USD). They’re still affordable. There’s other type of postcard that’s more expensive such as imported series like FOTW MOTW and similar ones (around Rp 15.000 to 17.000 here)

Postage price just raised this July, the cheapest is sending to South East Asia Rp 5000 (0.33 USD) and judging from addresses available on Postcrossing we usually need Rp 9000 (0.59 USD) to Europe, and Rp 10.000 (0.66 USD) to the Americas

Rate : 1 USD = Rp 15.209

So postage costs more than postcards :laughing:

Nobody wants to buy expensive postcards, but obviously, everyone has to buy expensive postage if they want their cards delivered :rofl:

8 Likes

@catchycat 3 weeks ago I was sending out a batch of postcards I ended up talking to someone outside the Post office they were asking me why am I always sending so many postcards. In the process of explaining postcrossing to them. I made an amateur mistake I threw the 5 postcards into the postbox without stamps on them. After walking away I realised my mistake went straight into the post office to try and get them to open the post box to get the postcards out so I could buy the stamps. To only be told that it’s only the postman that have the key to the postbox and not the post office. I had to go somewhere and I couldn’t wait around for the postman. So I decided to repost new post cards the next day. One of my card was going to Malaysia and I get a message from that particular postcrossing member explaining to me that he received two identical cards just one had a stamp and the other one didn’t. I don’t understand how a postcard which didn’t have a stamp got delivered halfway across the world.

13 Likes

I’ve had someone message me before saying my postcard had reached them (after a long journey) without a stamp. I knew it had been stamped when I sent it as I take photos of all of the cards I send. Somewhere, somehow the stamp had been removed but it still reached the recipient!

10 Likes

@geo_ Interesting maybe they thought the postcard had been tampered with. In saying that I remember receiving a postcard 2 years ago from another member which clearly didn’t have a stamp and had been travelling for over 250 days.

3 Likes

I tend to scrounge through used bookstores and bulk packs on Amazon to keep my cost-per-card low. Having said that, I’ll also pay up for special cards. For example, I have a hard time finding good-but-cheap tourist cards depicting the Chicago area, trains, planes, ships, etc., so I’ll pay $1+ per card because many people like those.
On the other hand, I avoid Redbubble and Zazzle because frankly they just cost too much, especially when you add shipping.

3 Likes

In the USA, our postal sorting machines are not gentle, so sometimes our postcards arrive with friction burns, tears, folds…

6 Likes

@MrRichWrites I will always put a postcard into an envelope if the recipients profile asks me to do so. In Ireland it’s the winter months because of the rain where postcards will get destroyed.

2 Likes

national postage is 70ct, international postage is 95ct

Touristy postcards are from 50ct up to 1.5EUR.
Sometimes I buy postcards from international online shops, those are less than 1EUR.
Most postcards I buy in local bookstores or German online shops, those are from 1EUR to 1.5EUR.
(I usually don’t buy postcards that cost more than 1.5EUR for postcrossing.)

3 Likes

I have sometimes sprayed an acrylic clear coat on postcards when I have been concerned about water damage. I also like using a fountain pen, but avoid using it on a postcard unless I’m sending it in an envelope (there are water-resistant inks for fountain pens, but they are tricky to use…better to just use a Biro-type ball-point pen)

2 Likes

In Croatia postage for sending a card anywhere in the World is 8.60 kunas (1.15€) and a typical touristic card is around 3 to 4 kunas so lets say half of the sending price. However there are also some illustration cards and cards showing some traditional motifs that can be bought for 10 kunas which is really a lot. The most I payed for a card was 6 kunas since it was a lovely vintage reprint.
Mentioned postage rate is valid from, I think 2019 and with Croatia transfering to Euro since January 1, 2023 I fear that the price will go up, possibly up to 1.30 or more euros. When I started Postcrossing - postage was only 4.60 kunas then around 2015 it started to be 5.80 kunas and finally 8.60 kunas so double, but lets be fair, it was about 10 years time.

3 Likes

I definitely do the same! I have a couple places I have found out here in Colorado that have relatively cheap touristy cards. I also love ordering from small businesses that make postcards, usually on Etsy-but even the cheaper small businesses will run over $1 a card. I just tried “CatPrint” to make a few postcards from pictures I have taken and to get a sample of their holographic postcard paper. It was $15 for 10 postcards. I got 20 postcards as I got 10 prints each of the two photos I wanted to make into cards. With shipping and tax, it came out to be $43. If I were to count the tax and shipping cost into the price of the postcards, they would be $2.15 a piece. Those sites really do cost too much!

3 Likes

@snailmailkait I definitely wouldn’t buy postcards off Etsy they will cost you an arm and a leg. I guess I’m extremely lucky where I live :joy: on average it’s €1 for 3 cards here because I live in a really touristy town and there is a high variety of postcards. I’m currently getting 5 cards for €1 in one of the discount stores. To be fair they are pretty good postcards. Last week I raided the shop €20 for 100 card’s. The shopkeeper was like why in the name of God are you buying 100 postcards. She was like what are you up to? :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh, it really does cost an arm and a leg! Though, sometimes it’s fun for a pack of surprise postcards from an artist or photographer! :hugs:
LOL that’s awesome! I found one place where I can get 6 postcards for $1.00- but it’s about a 2 hour drive from my home and up a mountain! Its definitely a crazy ride for sure. Next time I go, you bet I’ll be buying their whole stock :rofl:

4 Likes

@snailmailkait I was buying them in batches of 20 for €5 so wouldn’t raise the alarm bells. We are coming to the end of the tourist season. They said that they would not be getting anymore in until next year. I was like okay I better buy the hole stock then :rofl: I do like Etsy for postcrossing stickers and ink stampers I purchased one recently that has the different weathers on individual ink stamps.

2 Likes

Well, it depends. There are many cards of good quality where the costs are below the national postage (0.70 €). Especially if you buy them in larger quantities.

But there are also many cards that even exceed the international postage (0.95 €).

So you can’t say it in general.

3 Likes

Stamps for sure cost more! lol - International postage is $2.71 Cdn & $1.30 Cdn to the US.

I can generally get my postcards for between 80 cents & $1.50 Cdn plus shipping if I’m careful & time my orders with sales.

4 Likes