What are your country's current definitives?

Oh really? I understood the “definitive” means as much as “standard” - the stamp series that’s available at all times and not a “special” one.

2 Likes

I’m an American, but not a stamp collector. It’s possible that collectors and other countries could have their own definition of what “definitive” is. However as I was responding to a reply about US stamps, and my own reply was strictly based on the US Postal Service’s official definition of “definitive,” easily verified on their website here:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Postage-Stamps-The-Basics

Where you can scroll down to find this:

I see, looks like the term is in double usage. Internationally, there’s the differenciation of definitive vs commemorative stamps if I understand correctly.

What seems to be the American term would be a “value indicated” vs “no value indicated/nvi” stamp. I think this thread is about the international definition. :bulb:

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s shown off the new American postcard definitives yet; they came out in January after the domestic postcard rate increased by $0.01 (though the old postcard stamps are still valid):

5 Likes

In Mexico, since 2005 to date, we have the “Popular Creation” series.

The definitive stamps (“serie permanente”) from 2005 to 2017 were these ones:

In 2018, Mexican Postal Service just changed the facial value on some of them, keeping the same designs.

More than 15 years with these stamps. I bet some of you have already seen them on a postcard from Mexico.

9 Likes