What 2022 stamps are you looking forward to so far?

I was so excited to check out the new Stamp Bulletin this morning!

I’m disappointed that the Year of the Tiger card is just a postcard, not a maxicard…but I’ll probably survive. Maybe I’ll make it into a maxicard myself :thinking:.

I can’t wait for these stamps to come out in Feb!! :heart_eyes:

What are you looking forward to seeing?

5 Likes

Always happy for stamps and maxicards of our UNESCO sites.

And the tigers are gorgeous.

1 Like

We Germans will get a Postcrossing stamp next year - finally! :smiley:

4 Likes

Thats so cool! I cant wait to see it…and maybe receive it on a postcard in due course!

1 Like

We’ll have to wait until October 2022… But we waited so long, a few more months nearly don’t count. :relieved:

1 Like

I collect Australian permanent pictorial postmarks and was pleased to see that twenty five new ones are listed in the latest Bulletin. Eighteen of them are listed as being introduced on Jan 1 2022 - not sure that this will be so, as POs in Oz do not open on New Years Day!

The landscape issue is definitely my favourite.

1 Like

That’s cool! What do you collect the postmarks on? Sorry if that’s a silly question. I have no previous experience in postmark collecting.

I was thinking with the Year of the Tiger postcard, and making it into a maxicard…that I would try and get up to Sydney and get the Haymarket China Town stamp on it…to round out the deal. Do you just go to the post office with a pile of cards and ask them to stamp them?

Will the postmark work ok on the image side of the card? Is there a charge? Do they get annoyed if it’s a big pile of cards? Do I need to make a booking or something? I have so many questions…sorry! :grimacing::eyes:

Hi Sam! I have no experience with creating maximum cards, so am unable to say how easy, or difficult, the process is. But here is what I would do . I would purchase a Year of the Tiger card and stamp, attach the stamp to the front of the card, put it in an envelope (along with a stamped self-addressed envelope and a cardboard stiffener to protect it in transit) and send it to.

Sharon O’ Donnell
Reply paid 4000
Australian Philatelic Bureau
PO Box 4000
Ferntree Gully VIC 3156

Make sure you specify which postmark you require, Haymarket, Cabramatta or Bourke St. Melbourne. If you send your request within one month of the stamp issue date, ask for “first day of use” of the postmark, it will be backdated for you.

The Bureau keeps its own copies of newly issued postmarks, mostly identical to the ones allocated to the actual post offices. You can, of course write to the post offices themselves, but their lack of philatelic knowledge makes this a bit of a gamble.

Please note that you don’t need to use a stamp when writing to a “reply paid” address.

I mostly collect postmarks on the envelopes issued by Australia Post for new stamp issues. For instance I bought thirty “blank” ie. stampless RSPCA covers from my post office (thirty cents each) which I am using for any kind of pictorial postmark featuring an animal, such as the one used at Gundagai with “The dog on the tuckerbox”

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the detailed response. That’s all great to know!

Your collection sounds awesome! And what a great idea using the blank RSPCA envelopes!

:blush:

You’re Welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I recently moved but used to live near the Blue Mountains and sent a few cards which were almost identical to that Blue Mountains stamp. It would’ve been cool to be able to put that stamp on the card, but oh well! They do look lovely :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That shot of the three sisters is my favourite of the four I think! It’s fabulous!!

Welcome to the forum! :blush:

1 Like

Hey @Bowyum , hope you can ease my mind. How long does it usually take to receive back items you send to the bureau for cancellation?

I sent my first attempt at a maxicard to them and am beginning to worry about it. I think it’s been a month (I should have made a note of when I sent it, not sure exactly).

Hi Helen - I sent a load of philatelic covers to the Bureau in July and August which took so long that I phoned them to ask what was going on. They were not very reassuring, and I thought that my covers were lost. But when I checked my PO box on 8 November, all my covers were there ! So I reckon your order is being processed, but very slowly.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s disappointing, but I guess understandable.

Looking forward to tomorrow’s release:The 150th anniversary of the Adelaide - Darwin Telegraph system. And of course, the Christmas 2022 stamps!

2 Likes