Wet mail from Russia! 🇷🇺

Has anyone else been getting cards or letters from Russia that have been wet? Since November I’ve been getting envelopes and postcards that have been wet at some point. Cards stuck together inside of envelopes and cards curled up and sometimes the ink is illegible. I’m in the USA

4 Likes

No, never.

1 Like

I’ve heard of users in California and other states nearby getting wet mail from various countries during winter season (happens for 2-3 years straight)

2 Likes

I receive a lot of mail from Russia and it has never happened to me.

3 Likes

Yes, a few times. Fortunately my trader had inserted his stamps inside a plastic envelope one time .

2 Likes

I got a package from Latvia that was SOAKED. but not Russia

2 Likes

Maybe the mail carrier was asked to push a submarine.

3 Likes

I received wet cards from different countries. Rains and downpours happen everywhere. This is not specific to Russia :slight_smile:

15 Likes

I had 1 card recently from Russia that was warped like it may have been wet or damp but ink intact. But it arrived with another card from Russia that was perfect. I have a community box, so unfortunately if they deliver when it’s raining, it’s unavoidable sometimes.

1 Like

What a coincidence that you should ask. I just got a lovely card postmarked Dallas, and all of the writing has somehow been washed off. I don’t know how it got here, who sent it. Nothing. Interestingly, it has two postal bars, so … ?

4 Likes

@RalfH - maybe the card took a side trip and first anchored :anchor: - I mean vacationed :diving_mask: - in Vanuata’s underwater post office?

7 Likes

Your mail was likely in a postal facility that got flooded or damaged by a tornado. A number of them have been in Florida, Texas, Georgia this winter.

3 Likes

The new inks will disappear with heat. Sometimes they come back also with heat. Put lemon juice on a qtip and lightly rub over the area then Microwave the card for 10 seconds and see if anything turns yellow.

4 Likes

Only when it rains in my area. My mailbox is one that opens to the road and letter carrier pulls up in a little truck, pulls the door down, puts the mail in, and pulls the door up. Sometimes the mail gets wet while the carrier is putting the mail in.

(If you’re not from the US, watch any TV or movie scene where mail is being delivered in a rural US area to see what I’m talking about.)

2 Likes

I don’t remember where, but I received a wrinkly card which definitely looked like it had been soaked. I could not read the postcard because all the writings have been washed away :frowning: Just in case my postcard gets wet too, I use ball point pens in all my postcards rather than gel or rollerball pens. I’m not sure how much ball point pens will endure in heavy rain though.

3 Likes

Yup! Just recently, my bills and postcards, were soaked inside the mailbox. One postcard had the ink of disappear.

A Lithuanian PC’er reported that my postcard which was sealed in a plastic sleeve arrived with a puddle of water inside! :flushed: I wonder if the mail in the USA arrives in bins and left outside the building during rain sleet or snow! :thinking:

1 Like

I’ve received 48 postcards from Russia. Only 1 came to me that looked like it was water-damaged.

1 Like

Cards from Russia never weren’t wet.

Currently, I have not received any wet postcards. But a box mailed to a US state from another US state arrived severely damaged. It looked like it went through a snowstorm or rain. Luckily, the packing tape held the contents.

1 Like

Every now and then I get wet mail, but not specifically from Russia.

But lately I got more mail from the US which was wet at some point. When it reached my mailbox it was already dry again.

3 Likes