Waterproofing postcards

If I know there is rain in the weather forecast, I try to vitis the nearest post office in order to leave my postcards there. However, I can’t do it all the time, so I started using little bags with zipper seal (like the Ziploc ones) to protect the cards. It’s an extra step, but at least I know the cards will be safe from rain.

3 Likes

I was at the post office on Tuesday :joy: as it was raining again of course!
Thanks for the advice with the ziploc bags - I will check with the mailman next time if he would be OK with that. I don’t want the bag getting stuck in a sorting machine :fearful:

4 Likes

I rub the bottom of a clean candle onto my writings. The wax from the candle helps to waterproof my writings on the postcard.

Even though the postcard is wet, hopefully the address and important info written on it are protected.

9 Likes

yea, I have conversations with my mail delivery people too. I just moved into a new place… so I have not met my mail carrier yet. Kind of looking forward to it. If I were a postal worker I would definitely read people’s post cards. I don’t think there is anything wrong with reading another person’s post card. Postcards are pretty much public domain in my opinion.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting idea! I will try that one day.

I seal my fountain pen ink with coconut butter/oil. It smells nice and leaves no marks if you rub it well. I’ve tried the candle wax too, but don’t like how the card feels then.

2 Likes

@Shalottslady
How exactly do you do that, if you dont mind me asking?

1 Like

Well, here in Belgium, coconut oil comes in a jar and is relatively solid with normal room temperatures. With a teaspoon, I simply scoop the size of a small pea and rub it all over the card with my finger. Easy peesy, coconut squeezy :wink:

3 Likes

Wow. You explained that so well now i am inspired to give it a try. Thank you kindly😘

2 Likes

Does it leave a grease mark when you rub the oil onto the card?

2 Likes

Not in my experience. Sometimes, the cards’ paper takes a while to absorb and depending on the quality, colours a bit yellowish, but that disappears after a few moments.

2 Likes

I forgot to say that, after a few minutes I get rid of any excess oil with a paper tissue. You really need only a tiny little bit. And glossy cards are the hardest…

3 Likes

I moved a few posts to a new topic about waterproofing postcards, since they were a little off-topic on the other conversation. The topic is interesting, so it deserves its own place. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have used Fixative spray to some of my handmade cards but I don´t know does it really help if the card go to swim.

I use a product called distress micro glaze to seal in my fountain pen ink. A little goes a long way.

2 Likes

I taped over my written words to waterproof it.
I tried beeswax but it wasn’t spreading too well