Washi tape discussions!

@meiadeleite via Show us your handmade postcards and Mail Art - #1406 by meiadeleite

The washi tapes from which the handmade postcards were made are from the set on the left - it was twenty Van Gogh themed narrow washi. I like having sets of Van Gogh tapes like the one on the right too.

But the glue on these washi tapes is not that good: while for wider tapes I either use stick glue or stickers on top for the edges, for narrow ones it just doesn’t work in my regular decoration

Even though it looks like it’s hard to do, it’s not at all! I just mark very general lines for the picture, and then fill it with colour of washi which fits somewhat, ripping them approximately with fingers. The Van Gogh colours do the rest of the work!

I decorated the backsides in the same technique for Decorated Wildcard tag and now finishing ones for the Handmade RR. I made pictures of the process of one (I hope whoever will receive it wouldn’t mind the spoiler), photos are a bit potato quality because lights are off - nappy time for my son :blush:

Of course with Van Gogh tapes nicest would be recreation of his own paintings which I did for the ones shown in the source post. For next try I decided to use the motive of Wassily Kandinsky ‘Winter landscape’ painting as a reference (https://www.wassilykandinsky.ru/work-123.php). In his early works he was inspired by French impressionists.

1 step - 2H pencil outlines, the houses are already covered by thin single colour tape

2 step - Beginning of filling - I usually do the small areas first

3 step - Filling the big areas - since Van Gogh colours are more summer-spring the winter scene will need some tinkering

4 step - the ‘tails’ of washi tapes cut, I used correction fluid for snow roofs and Sakura calligraphic pen of 2.0 mm for trees, windows and shadows

5 step - Ready! Now time for laminator or a zip bag (I cut the window for the stamp on the backside, so it gets cancelled, but the card itself protected by plastic bag)

80 Likes