War between countries

Does anyone know the policy of postcrossing if two (or more) countries are at war with each other?

1 Like

I think that is a question that should be answered by @paulo or @meiadeleite, because it is not useful for us to make assumptions here.

2 Likes

It is a public secret that postcrossing is for connecting people in a peacefull way.

For us is a postal monitor implemented.

2 Likes

If we are aware (and can minimally confirm) that a pair countries don’t have diplomatic relations and, most likely, also don’t have a way to exchange mail normally, then we add them to the Postal Monitor so that those routes are excluded from the possible exchanges to minimize lost mail — or even trouble to the sender/receiver in some rare cases.

Note that these issues happen not just in case of actual military war — some countries simply don’t recognize each other as sovereign states and refuse to send mail to each other. And, sometimes, this is one sided (eg: A sends to B, but B doesn’t send to A because it doesn’t recognize it as a state).

There are already a few of these in the Postal Monitor as we have been doing this for many years now (behind the scenes), even if the Postal Monitor as it is known today is a somewhat recent addition.

These mail issues are not very easy for us to know about (and we are probably still missing some), but over the years members of the community in those places have informed us about being unable to mail to some destination and if we able to confirm this somehow, we block that route. We usually only do this if the issue is long standing (years) and not a temporary one.

To end on a more positive note, even if sometimes countries don’t officially recognize each other (or don’t have official diplomatic relations), they sometimes are still able to mail each other through a third-party country by adding on the last line of the address “via XYZ” where XYZ is an intermediate country that is known to re-route the mail to the destination. This is a bit of hack however, so for Postcrossing’s purposes, we don’t rely on it to assume a route still “works” as it may not work sometimes (or not at all) and the receiver’s address may not include the detour country (or the sender may decide not to write it on the address).

22 Likes

Hello, I’m still getting adresses for writing a card to Russia. I have sent an e-mail to Postcrossing about this, but this isn’t changed so far.

1 Like

The postal monitor says that The Netherlands can still send mail to Russia, so if you pull an address to send a card, you may get a Russian address.
If you know that your postal service has stopped sending to Russia, there is a thread for you to add that information and the algorithm will be updated.

If your country **can ** send to Russia but you don’t want to for some reason, then you will have to stop pulling addresses. You cannot pick and choose who you send to - the randomness is part of the point of Postcrossing.

5 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

Our postal service isn’t sending to Russia. That’s what Postcrossing told me.
I don’t know how to add this information.

There is a thread called ‘mail suspension updates’ in the postcards and mail section.
If you post the suspension information there, especially with the source of the information e.g. from your postal service website, the postal monitor will be updated.

However, when i look at the NL post website it suggests to me that you can send to Russia

4 Likes

The Netherlands stopped sending to Ukraine and Russia for a short while, but we can send and receive to and from this countries again.

8 Likes

@Frysk-Famke39 ,

you can check the list here:( and subscribe;) )

https://www.postnl.nl/en/customer-service/delivery-status/international-service-alerts/

international-service-alerts

1 Like

Personally I think that it’s a shame that we can see that kind of activities in 21 century. :grimacing:

4 Likes

I have send cards to Russia lately and they still arrive. So you can send mail from the Netherlands to Russia.

4 Likes