Vintage stamp question

I’m sure this has probably been asked somewhere, but I looked and didn’t see anything. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

I got a couple of ziplock grab bags of vintage stamps at the flea market today, and there’s a lot of unused 4¢ stamps and quite a few 29¢ stamps. It’s my understanding that stamps don’t expire and are still valid for their face value in the US. Is this right? Can I use these stamps for postcrossing? I logged some of the stamps I got in an app so it’s easier to keep track, I’ve included a screenshot that shows some of the ones I got today. Any advice about how to use them would be appreciated! Thanks!

3 Likes

Yes, you can use them as long as they add up to whatever the current value is.

3 Likes

Stamps don’t expire, the are worth the face value. I’m interested what’s the app you’re using to log the stamps?

1 Like

@marora its the stamp identifier app on iPhone! I was able to take a quick picture of each stamp and the matches it and gives you information about it and a link to a website showing the value on eBay and stuff. I thought it was pretty cool. I just hearted all the stamps I had!

4 Likes

A follow up question, that might be kind of dumb. Do I have to use these stamps for only domestic postcards or could I use the internationally as well?

2 Likes

Yes, they can be used for international mailing from the US, as long as their total face value equals the required postage.

2 Likes

Welcome to Postcrossing! What a great find you made! Like the others have said, these are absolutely valid for postage on cards sent anywhere in the world. I have loads of this type of stamp in all denominations. I try to put a 5-stamp combo on every card I send!

2 Likes

Awesome find!!! Yep, totally valid. You scored! Welcome to Postcrossing : )

2 Likes

Definitely use them on your international mail. It might take a long time to use them all up. A couple of years ago, in an auction lot I won, there was over $140 in unused US postage. I just have 4c, 5c and a few 8c left. Everything else was used or given away; but it took a long time.

5 Likes