USPS Got Carried away

Just received this postcard & wanted to share as I’ve never seen anything like it! I received this beautiful card, nicely decorated - and USPS hand-cancelled the card, including cancelling all of the stickers and the images in the washi tape!!

There are 9 postmarks on this card!

37 Likes

Now that is true devotion to duty :rofl: Or the postperson was having a bit of fun :sweat_smile: The stickers and washi tape are very cute!

2 Likes

Wow! Ha

That’s actually kinda funny. I hope it didn’t ruin your card. But I think I would laugh about that lol. Also has anyone been receiving cards with no postal mark? I’ve been recieving quite a few things with no postal mark.

3 Likes

No it definitely didn’t ruin the card… I think it made the card even more special!

3 Likes

That seems to happen quite a lot these days especially in the US, UK, Finland and Netherlands. Really terrible for stamp collectors such as myself. I always go into the post office and ask for hand cancellations when I post something. In the UK & Netherlands that is not always possible as they sometimes don’t even have the cancels anymore. In the US I have never been denied a hand cancellation, and they always seem to take a lot of care (like in this example), some post offices will even let you do the cancellations yourself. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Wolfgang

2 Likes

I wonder if they multi-cancelled every mail, or was it just this card they decided should get it all? :joy:

I have got few! And just couple of weeks ago I received card from Finland… With the sticker cancelled instead of the stamps. It was even very neat and clear cancellation, just on wrong spot…
Our postoffice is sometimes bit bad about cancelling stamps so I often see afterwards that cards and mail I sent to my friends and family have not got cancellations. They seem to have got better with it lately.

1 Like

Love it :heart_eyes:
At least it’s with stamps, and not the dreaded biro.

3 Likes

If you take your postcards to the post office clerk they can cancel them by hand rather than put them through the sorting machine. I’ve done that a few times when I was sending out some handmade postcards or card with special stamps.

1 Like

I got a card yesterday with no cancellation.

My understanding (and I’ve seen it happen) is that hand cancels still go through the machine. But hand stamps add a nice touch (especially if legible) and ensure it doesn’t get a pen cancel later.

2 Likes

Overzealous postal workers in the UK scribble over stamps to make sure no one can reuse them.

1 Like

That is great. Such personalization. Someone in the postal service really left their “mark”!
Anne

2 Likes

So, they are kept very, very busy!

1 Like

Omg this is so cute!! That post worker must have had some extra time on their hands

1 Like

a bit late reply, but I love this haha !!

Sorry, am I very bad that I think this is just a way of bullying?

What is bullying sorry? Perhaps you are not in the right thread?

Well I think its a bit mean to do such a thing when somebody puts the effort in decorating the card with nice stickers and washitape. One postal stamp on the stamp itself should be enough :heart: