USPS Airmail Stickers/Etiquette

Hi!

I am wondering if it is okay to use USPS airmail stickers even though they are obsolete functionally. I asked my local post office if they had any and they gave me some. I wanted to use them more for decoration purposes on postcards and letters. Is that okay? Any additional information is deeply appreciated as well!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I occasionally use the old Air Mail stickers on my postcards - I like the old fashioned feeling of them. Back when I worked in an office, I even printed out some of my own to use. As far as I know, there is no prohibition on using them - it just makes the writing space smaller.

1 Like

Thank you! I saw other snail mail friends talking about them in the Instagram community and was curious!

1 Like

Here is a reply from user @maleko on this topic when I asked about airmail stickers:

“When I go to my neighborhood post office to buy international rate stamps, the postal workers there often ask me if I want some airmail stickers. They’re free, but I think I read somewhere that they’re “new old stock” that USPS isn’t printing anymore, so they may not be available at all post offices.”

Here is another explanation from @AMDGIHS2019 (whose username I just figured out, by the way; took me way too long for someone who spent 6 years in Jesuit schools :sweat_smile:):

The blue Air Mail stickers (that I showed in an earlier post in this thread) are not required but are recommended. They are free for the asking and serve as an “eye-catcher”, to “jolt” (her word) the USA Letter Carriers and Sorting Personnel into noticing that a piece of mail is international. Anything that can help the humans route things correctly before the hand-off to the machines in the postal processing plants is a good thing. These USA stickers have no meaning for other countries’ postal services (just as other countries’ air mail stickers have no meaning to other destination countries, including the USA).

I hope that helps! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

It does! Thank you so much! I can’t wait to use them now! :blush:

1 Like

I would love to see them on cards sent to me. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

Our postmaster ordered some for me last year but they were pretty large making the address space cramped. They also told me they really don’t mean anything anymore. I like them but find it really cramps the address space.

1 Like

I found a slip of them when I was doing some cleaning. I have one left to use.

1 Like

I actually asked three post offices here in New York, all of them told me they hadn’t any left :sob:
They all told me it’s unnecessary but not disallowed.
I would definitely be using them if I had them!

1 Like

I just recently joined Post Crossing and found that if you go to the post office you can request them to stamp it Airmail. I thought it added to the card.

1 Like