Users who wait to register cards

I have had two cards recently registered like that because the receiver had troubles registering/receiving their mail ( I don’t remember the exact words). The member had hundreds of cards registered that day, so I guess they didn’t understand that when they are back to active, all their sent cards arrive in somewhat short period of time. (I think the trouble was the amount, because even copying thank you would take so much time :smiley: but I’m happy they didn’t wait couple of days to write a good hurray to each :smile: it would have taken maybe over a year :rofl: But this shows how members value different things - in another thread this was seen as a good thing, that when they are inactive they send so many card that they need an award or something. ( And when I suggested they get the award after they register the cards, my message got flagged of being inappropriate :face_with_peeking_eye: :smile: ) To think this person would have taken time to absorb each postcard and text, and then only register, oh no…I think most are happy they got the empty registration after all.

So many different situations.

Edit. and my card was expired, like many others, so this member might look like they waited to register. Of course I don’t know what happened in reality, but I appreciate they let the team register these :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It may have mentioned before, but when receiving a ‘huge’ amount of postcards, a ‘compromise’ between no-time-for-long-hurray and trying-to-register-as-fast-as-possible can be a copy-and-paste-hurray that announces a longer hurray some time later.

I did it in April with a message similar to
‘due to busy circumstances in life I had to decide between quick registration and nice message. My real hurray will follow soon. At least you have an arrival and a free slot now. Sorry. You’ll read me later’

It also adds as an extra knowing/reading the senders profile. (which I normally don’t need, and I know why we don’t have it, but in that case it did change my hurrays a tiny bit).

Of course that way means two emails for both sender and receiver, which can collide with a tidy mail-storage-file, and it separates offical hurray and ‘real’ message, so some users may not like it.

As said, it’s a compromise (or Notloesung) in times when needed

7 Likes

This is a great idea. Real life stuff comes up, and direct communication is always the best. Thank you.

Appreciate you sharing that! Another member @RalfH had a good suggestion for someone else in the comments above: to mention this detail about registering cards in your profile. :slight_smile:

Mentioning that in the profile would help the senders to understand why you register in batches.

2 Likes

Thank you messages seem to share a lot of opinions here. Most of the time I’m not interested in writing long messages and I’m perfectly happy with “Thanks for the postcard!” and basically I don’t even expect else. I’m bad at writing anything complicated, especially in English. Longer personal messages are of course nice, but not necessary. After reading the message, I don’t remember whether it was long or short and what it said. These messages don’t “connect” me. That famous connection comes in the profile and the postcard I write. You shouldn’t judge people by the number of words.

11 Likes

Although to do so, one should first be aware that a longer Hurray is preferred and shorter one seen as bad/rude/sign of not liking the card.

I have thought this, but then also fear, I would forget or feel too much pressure to write the later e-mail :smile:

And then end up being analysed here, how I promise to write, and then don’t.

This was to me, and apparently ok. So I guess it’s then ok to reply.
I don’t actually see my message being out of context here. (I even waited to this day to see my message with fresh eyes, but as to reply to your message, it’s similar, we just have different opinion as I see it, or firstly wrongly (?) understood (and I still read it that you think short and quick is not “good”).

So I also take that you read my posts elsewhere, and you hink they too are out of context always (so mostly, or very often), but you didn’t mention it there and then, and now gathered some anger/frustration and burst out this?
Please, in future, just say at once, in the topic, I can handle it and it’s much easier to correct things in the right place than now think what I have might written in some topic.

Maybe this time we both were out of context and the righter topic would have been the empty/short hurray topic :slight_smile: :hugs:

Edit. Here is the Empty Hurray topic:

it also includes short thank you’s

Yes, this was a great idea and it’s already implemented in my profile.

To be honest I never thought that registering batches would be considered as something one would do on purpose, until I read this thread!

I would so much enjoy receiving one card at a time, instead of being in a hurry to free peoples slots…

5 Likes

@Maria-K I think you could even mention in your profile that the postman only comes 1-2 times a month to your area, like you did in this thread. In your profile you wrote “not often” and this is another term that’s very relative for people. For example I live in a big city with daily mail delivery, so for my feeling 2x a week also would be not often :wink: I think people will be very understanding if you mention your situation.

Please do not feel stressed to free people’s slots the minute you get the cards in your hands, taking away from your own experience. I don’t think it’s the goal of Postcrossing to stress people out. Yes, according to the guidelines we should register incoming postcards as soon as possible. But it’s just “as soon as possible” and not “immediately upon arrival, no matter what you have going on in your life, what other priorities and responsibilities you have, how you feel, and if you can enjoy the experience”. There is a bit of wiggle room within reason. I think spreading out registering over 2-3 days is completely fine- sometimes for whatever reason sooner is not possible, and that is ok :cherry_blossom:

12 Likes

Thanks, you are right, I made it more clear now. Until recent years there was also daily (or almost daily) service in my area, but it seems there are very few postmen nowadays for a huge area so… Batches it is.
Also thanks for your relieving advice of not getting stressed. Your argument is valid, this is a hobby.

4 Likes

This has certainly already been said several times in this conversation but it makes us think that not everyone receives his mail every day. Some places only have one or two deliveries per month. I also know that it can happen that postcards going to the same address are kept at the post office until there is a large batch and then they are delivered (which explains the 10-20 postcards registered the same day).

In my situation, from August to May, I can only pick up my mail once a month maximum (sometimes every two months). So to avoid postcrossers being unhappy, I put my account inactive during this period. But so I only take full advantage of Postcrossing two months of the year, it’s frustrating.

3 Likes

My issue with my post office is the lack of parking. I got a $108 parking ticket :cry: Since the ticket, I’ve been walking to my post office (30 mins walking vs 5 mins driving round-trip). It’s not as convenient, but it’ll do for now. I’m considering changing my PO box to a post office that’s farther away, but has a parking lot. I get around 3 cards per day, so ~18 cards per week. Registering that many at once wouldn’t be that fun (plus forum cards). So I’m trying to walk there every other day currently, rather than just once a week. Thankfully my mail is pretty regular, except my post office doesn’t have Saturday service, so I just get those cards on the following Monday.

2 Likes

Take a bicycle. That is environmental friendly and takes maybe 10 minutes.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same :grinning:
maybe no bike.

But that was a severe parking ticket!

2 Likes

This comment about Hurray messages from a few days ago stuck with me, and I hope it is not too off topic to reply here in this thread:

From time to time I receive very special Hurray messages. It is not about the length, I completely agree with you about that! But for me the Hurray message can intensify the connection a lot. For example very recently I received a Hurray message to a card I especially went out and bought for that Postcrosser after reading their profile, and told them so on the card. The excitement and warmth of the Hurray was really overwhelming and made me very happy, and they also told me about a very special memory my card brought up in them. I will remember this for a long time.

I have the same with other cards when I browse through my sent wall, be it a story that comes to mind again that someone told me because of my card or words, or be it just a really really excited one liner as a Hurray.

I think the Hurray message can “complete” the connection, and it’s always special when that happens :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Hello . I am third in Greece. I have been using postcrossing for years. In previous years the post office came often like twice a week nowadays we are lucky if it comes twice a month you shouldn’t judge everybody with the same standards.

15 Likes

Riding a bike is more environmentally friendly, it’s true. Have you been to San Francisco? The hills there are very steep! Most US cities are not well set up to accommodate bicyles safely either. NYC is the best place to get around without a car, but cities on the the US west coast not as much. My hometown Seattle also has very steep hills.
Telling someone to take a bike also does not consider any physical abilities that person might have or not have. Due to health issues, I personally would not be able to use a bike regularly, as it would take all my energy.
Next time you visit San Francisco, rent a bike and see what you think :wink:

15 Likes

If she is disabled or her area is steep, she certainly would have mentioned that, at latest in a reply to my posting.

1 Like

Yes, I do live on a hill, so I’d have to go down the hill and walk the bike back up. I also don’t have a bike nor know how to ride one really (I’m bad at the balancing part). Bike theft is also a concern in major cities here. Thank you for your suggestion though; it made me consider getting a non-electric scooter or something :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply! That makes things clearer! I wouldn’t cycle uphill either, due to my sick heart.
@Selena , the same sick heart is why I shift my first visit to the Americas to a next life.

2 Likes

It was a suggestion, and I also suggested maybe no bike (so maybe no money for it, stolen (big problem also here), no bike because can’t bike, is afraid to bike, is afraid to shop it because fear of social situations…)

I’m not starting to look where people live (nor visit that area) and ask their medical conditions before making a suggestion.

3 Likes