USA - Where to get postcards

So, I actually wanted to ask about this. Some chains definitely always carry postcards (like large Buc-ees stops), but some don’t, depending on where you are.

In my experience, they fall into two categories:

1. Not in the area - Example: While in Boston, almost every Walgreens had some sort of postcard stand near the cashier’s station. But now that I’m in Houston, it’s impossible to find postcards at any Walgreens.
  2. Hit or Miss - Example: Walmarts around here in Texas are hit or miss. Some may have postcards, and some won’t have anything at all, even though they are less that 5 mi apart.

I was wondering if there’s a way to address this. Should we list specific chain locations that are known to have postcards? Like I wouldn’t want a random traveler or postcrosser to pop into a Walmart and not find anything. But I also know that there are chains that almost always have postcards…so what distinction/system should we use?

I have also found that all airports have postcards

I observed the same thing. I would list each specific location, as for example not all Bartell Drugs in my area have postcards.

Yes, but they gouge you with prices per card.

yes they will since they know only tourists will buy.

true, but when ever I go somewhere I pick up a few while I am in the airport.

1 Like

Independent bookstores are my favorite places to find postcards. No, they rarely have view cards or touristy type but I have found all sorts of other postcards from sets, full sets, books, etc. at way discounted prices.

2 Likes

I got the majority of mine from antique stores and yard sales. The rest from museums, boardwalks, amusement parks, and tourist traps. Finding them at yard sales is always exciting since you can find a wide variety, even some from the 1800’s which typically have written history in the form of snail mail. When you find used ones it’s really only good for personal collections but often there will also be blank cards mixed in with them.

Massachusetts Turnpike, aka the Mass Pike - Rest area stores have great cards related to Massachusetts/Boston/nearby towns sometimes

1 Like

Hey are you coming to the postcard show first weekend of October here in Houston?

KANSAS… I got some interesting ones for free at the state fair last week.
Stuckey’s on I-70 west of Topeka has 3/$1.00
Truck stops along I-70 seem to have them
Acme Local in Manhattan, KS has a few
Lots of vintage ones for $1.00 each at Eclectic Charm in Manhattan, KS.
So far I like Stuckey’s the best, you can’t beat the price, plus the Pecan Logs people! Yum!

A museum is always a good place to look! If not, I find a lot of postcards on ebay for a fair price :slight_smile: Just have to hunt around for a bit

2 Likes

Yup! I’m going with @monilu if all goes well

Sorry for being late…took some time off :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@theJCAtx I’m going to the postcard show on Friday since that’s the only day my friend can go. One of the vendors @ezredax always likes to have a little meet and greet at the shows on Saturday. So I will not be there for that. I hope you have a great time! There is a lot to look at. Demaris who is hosting the meetup always has really good deals.

1 Like

My community has a “buy nothing” group on Facebook. About once a month I post on there asking for unwritten postcards of any themes. I’ve ended up with some local, national parks ones, a box of Disney, and everything in between!

4 Likes

Hi,

remind me of who you are at the show. I will be happy to have you autograph some meetup postcards. If you bring an addressed envelope after the meetup I will be happy to mail you some. As I don’t know how many will be in attendance, that number varies.

Enjoy the day!
Demaris

1 Like

HI,

Will you be coming to the meetup? There will be others who would trade.

Demaris

In Lubbock, Texas here are a few places that still sell postards:

• I found over 40 different beautiful Texas themed postcards available for sale in the gift shop at the National Ranching Heritage Center, 3121 4th St, Lubbock, TX 79409, Phone (806) 742-0498, open 10am-5pm M-F. https://ranchingheritage.org/
  • I found a few unique Texas, vintage Lubbock and 3D Science themed postcards in the gift shop of Science Spectrum & OMNI Theater, 2579 S Loop 289 #250, Lubbock, TX 79423 (806) 745-2525, open 10am-5pm M-F, https://www.sciencespectrum.org/
  • I also found some nice Texas themed travel postcards at Flying J Travel Center, 602 4th St, Lubbock, TX 79401, (806) 744-0539, Open 24-hours.

This looks like she bought postcard sets (I have the animal one, which is great) and is selling them individually. The Animal set of 50 costs $20 on Amazon. She’s selling them for $4 each. If you did want just one or two from a set, maybe… Otherwise, I think it is a waste of my postcarding $$.The box, which is very sturdy, also has continent tabbed files. I used these to quickly find an animal in a particular part of the world for Postcrossing.

2 Likes

These are cards from sets available on Amazon. The Animals box of 50 unique sells for $20. That’s $.40 a card. Which means she selling at a ridiculous markup! You can buy all 50 cards (and BTW, I love the whole set) for the price of 5 of hers.