US Members - Slow or Lost Mail?

Is anyone else in the U.S. finding their mail being way slower within the U.S. and more lost postcards/envelopes? Especially in Atlanta Metro?

A good majority of the time I hand off my mail directly to the Postal Employee at the Post Office.

However, I feel like I am seeing less people reporting my cards have made it/taking a very long time to arrive - even a state away.

It’s like my mail either makes it fast or super slow/never? No in between.

7 Likes

Yes! 75% of the time I have to mail a postcard from North Carolina to Washington state it takes over a month. A recent postcard to South Dakota took two weeks. California has been taking a while too lately. I mailed a postcard to someone in Virginia the last month and they just received it. Yet a postcard from NC to WV takes only a day.

3 Likes

It’s so bizarre! I sent 3 happy mail envelopes almost 2 weeks ago. All within the U.S., one from GA to FL and none have arrived!

I feel bad no one has received their envelopes and I don’t know how long to wait before resending. I had bought items specifically for the swap, too.

3 Likes

Postcrossing can be a little frustrating for new ones. There are many variables involved when we send and receive mail. Some within our control some not so much.

It’s even slow going international…all my cards to Europe are taking 3-4 weeks now. Very strange

3 Likes

I expect long times internationally, but I can’t figure out how it takes a month or more for a card to go one state or a few hours away.

3 Likes

My sister in law and I exchange mail at least every few weeks. We know how long it takes for mail to get to each other’s homes. There seems to be a postal black hole forming in the lower Appalachian Mountains/Ohio River Valley area.

3 Likes

I also noticed a significant slowdown for mail within US. Most expired cards I have are domestic

2 Likes

Our mail is horribly slow… they are short-handed - they’ve had a job fair every 3 months for two years in the central Oregon area… It is very frustrating.

2 Likes

I just wonder where the mail is that it’s taking so long? Is it just staying stuck in one place, or going from distribution center to distribution center?

And how are they getting lost?

I even had one sent to the correct address returned months later saying the address didn’t exist. I confirmed it does.

How much time do you give before resending?

3 Likes

Recently moved from Indianapolis, IN to Detroit, MI.

Have noticed that my mail here is much slower. I feel like I only get mail 2-3 times a week now. That or my postcards just get bunched together. It often takes 2 weeks or more to receive mail from the US now. Not sure if it’s just my route, my new area, or a larger USPS thing.

3 Likes

that’s a great question! I want to know how long before resending (Domestically and internationally) as well. I sent a nice wooden Postcard from CA to TX this past summer, I used the non machinable stamp, USPS lost it somehow. So I resent 3 months later. I felt it was too long but wanted to give it time. I feel sad when postcards get lost especially when I take time to use stickers and decorate it… but not overwhelmingly so that it interferes with the address it’s going to.

2 Likes

That stinks!

Yeah, it’s just weird all THREE of the envelopes I sent together haven’t arrived. You would think at least 2 would have made it.

3 Likes

I’ve noticed mail taking longer. Even 1-2 weeks from one state to another. Yet postage keeps going up

2 Likes

Can confirm!!
I lived in Detroit until Jan '22. There is a HUGE slowdown at the Metro station. EVERYTHING gets held up there. The station isn’t near big enough for the area and they’re ALWAYS behind. Add 2-3 days to everything you expect via USPS unless it’s priority and even that is iffy.

2 Likes

The Detroit center is one of the slowest in the US. My NW Ohio Congressional rep has filed several complaints about this problem

2 Likes

SC here, HUGE slowdown. HUGE. I didnt recieve mail for a week, nothing not even junk mail. I went to post office and inquired. The clerk said they had 3 trucks down. However, i over heard clerks in the back discussing Amazon is what has slowed them down. Since the usps now has an amazon contract but less postal workers, its causing massive slow downs.

1 Like

Does Amazon deliver non packages? I thought they just did some of the packages, not actual mail?

I wonder if something is up with Atlanta Distribution Centers? Does mail go through Atlanta to get to SC?

It’s the other way around, USPS delivers for Amazon

1 Like

Not to make this post too political but I was told that the current postmaster, Dejoy, has been purposely slowing down mail. (an ironic name no?)
There’s all sorts of reasons why supposedly, but the one I heard was that he wanted to make it so that Americans turned to the more expensive private companies to mail things.

1 Like