US Mail Delays - 2022

This article appeared in a Google list late last night.

Of interest to me were two items:

The post service’s changes are prioritizing package delivery over mail letter delivery, raising prices and reinforcing facilities to increase revenue. The changes made in 2022 resulted in fewer employees, and less letters delivered by USPS.

And

The USPS statement regarding Superior Wisconsin reads as follows. “We are committed to providing the best possible service to our customers and we apologize for any inconvenience that may have been experienced. Local management … is aware of delivery issues and taking steps to address the concerns. Some customers may receive mail every other day as compared to the normal daily delivery as we match the workload to available resources. … We will continue flexing our available resources to match the workload …”

(emphasis mine)

The articles highlight some examples in a particular area of the state. I do not live in Wisconsin, so I’d welcome any Wisconsin Postcrossers observations as well as the rest of the country. I live in Upstate New York and we are starting to experience erratic delivery times within a day.

The delays are across the board. The clerk explained the recent delays. They must now verify address and name, then walk over to a computer shared by all clerks to input and verify.

Clerk shared a memo dated 9/30/22 for Christmas deliveries.

Any reason given as to why they need to do this now? Seems excessive.

1 Like

This just happens to coincide with the time when lots of absentee ballots - to and from voters - are in the mail. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :thinking:

3 Likes

I can only guess that it could be for complaints on misdelivered items… so a secondary verification process is needed. ?
But one computer for 5 clerks during rush hour is inefficient.