Up-cycling postcards

I have been thinking for awhile what I will do with all of my postcards that I am starting to accumulate. Is there anything special you all do to recycle the pictures on the postcards or even use the cards as scrap material? As much as I love love love these postcards I feel bad that they just sit in a box for me and I want to figure out how I can turn them into art to display one day. Let me know any of your ideas on how you reuse or incorporate your postcards in your home.

6 Likes

If you look on Pinterest, there are quite a few ideas. Most seem to be about how to display your postcards, but there are some interesting ideas like using them to decoupage a piece of furniture, or repurposing them into collage art.

4 Likes

I dream of someday having a physical favorites wall.

5 Likes

Sometimes a card without a personal message/drawing/decoration (those I save) has really great paper or an image and then yes, I do save it and use the paper or cut out the image for crafting. Like you @DelilahCal I think it is better than just dumping the whole card into the recycle bin.

1 Like

I use vintage postcards as table decorations at dinner parties. F.ex on family christmas gatherings I have a couple of carousels with several frames with season theme postcards. At childrens birthdays cartoon motives. Guests love it and postcards turn into conversation objects. My mobile camera dosen`t function today. But I paste a picture from an aqaintance that use tread and hole punch on postcards. In Norway the craft is called “hekling” (crochet). @DelilahCal

3 Likes

I have made planner and notebook covers like this. From some I cut only a part and laminate, as here, so the cover is partly see-through and here a little glitter :grinning: but some I laminate as such.

7 Likes