Unusual places to buy cards

There are free boxes and free piles here in the USA as well. Sometimes in an apartment building, on a busy street corner, or some businesses have them too. There’s a Facebook neighborhood group called Buy Nothing and sometimes my neighbors give away cards there.

2 Likes

See some nice ones on Facebook marketplace. Where I live we have places that sell stuff from local artists. Not too many postcards but I do find them on occasion.

1 Like

I would like to share a tip for those who buy postcards off Redbubble, etsy, etc. If you really like an artist’s postcards on those websites, please search and check if the artist has their own shop/website. Sometimes the price is less than what’s listed on etsy and Redbubble because of commission. Buy it from their website rather than thru etsy/Redbubble! It is much more beneficial for them and you can also get coupons for future transactions. :wink:

About this topic…museums, art galleries, thrift stores, antique shops, churches, tourist centers, craft stores (very rare though), farms, even cafes/restaurants!

Basically any local business who are proud of their craft or place, will probably be selling postcards. :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Libraries! Libraries will often have free postcards relating to the library/books, and sometimes will give more special ones out if you go to library events like book clubs. I actually heard about Postcrossing through a book club!
Additionally, most libraries have very inexpensive used bookstores. I’m talking under 50 cents for a brand-new hardback cheap. You can find many treasures in these, I’ve found some pretty cool CDs, DVDs, books, and more. You can look for postcard books, but I’ve also seen postcards people donated being given out in these bookstores FOR FREE! It may take a couple trips, but you’ll definitely find something. I also know some people go to thrift stores. You can’t be too picky at either of these places, but if you look well enough/visit often you can find some cool things!

1 Like

I love the postcards I’ve found at Ikea! The closest Ikea to me is a 5 hour drive, but I shop there whenever I can!

5 Likes

I had no idea IKEA sells postcards! I don’t shop there often since the store is an hour away from me.
Thanks for sharing with us @tpuchalski
I will definitely be visiting the store soon. :relaxed:

1 Like

They’re found under the wall decor/frames section in their (giant) store. I think they are meant to be framed, but they are totally postcard friendly :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I like to order off Etsy. They usually have good deals and I feel like I’m supporting small businesses. The artists often sell cards in a 10 pack and offer free shipping. I’m in Texas and like to send something representing my area, so it feels like a win. Now I realize I should be less obnoxious and send random ones…

5 Likes

I try to keep my eye out for them everywhere I go. I’ve found them at boutiques while doing day trips to both popular tourist destinations and to small towns. Museums, although I will always regret not getting any postcards when I went to the MOMA and the American Museum & Natural History in NYC. I wasn’t as big into getting postcards back then. Any type of art festival can be a good place to find them along with Etsy, rest stops in the US still have postcards, but my favorite way to get them are from Flea Markets and Estate/Tag sales. It’s just such a fun way to stumble on them, plus you get to see where the person traveled to or had an interest in.

1 Like

I’ve not really seen it mentioned, but I’m signed up for a postcard Subscription!

I think it’s a nice way of showing off local artists and scenery - and they’re expanding outside of the UK

3 Likes

I have a hard time sourcing them since I live in a very rural area. I have to stock up on large amounts when I travel into the city. I often purchase any collections I can find at garage sales or thrift stores. I dont like purchasing online because you don’t see the people that work benefits like you do at craft shows or in museums

I was at a stand up comedy show I travelled into the city last Sunday and they had postcards as a merchandise item. I came home with 4.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that some churches sold postcards. I will check this out, thank you.

1 Like

My New favorite place to get postcards cheap is Estate Sales, I have been finding least a few at each one I go to. Recently I found a whole box full for just a few dollars! No one else seems to wbe looking for them there so they are a great deal.

6 Likes

No harm in sending them :blush::love_letter: even if they are a bit bigger it should be fine. Really neat you found them at IKEA!

1 Like

Yes, I always look at estate sales as well. Also, Postcrossing says this is the first time that you have posted so, welcome! I’m pretty new as well.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for the welcome. I feel a touched i was noticed!

3 Likes

I also got some at Ikea! They had some pictoral cards for their frames, but they work just as well as postcards! I even got them for a discount due to them being discountinued - some were smaller and some bigger than the Pos Malaysia limits for postcards though.

5 Likes

Probably people mentioned this above or in the wiki but I can’t search too easily. I bought a pack of postcards from a charity auction online, since it is not simple for me to go out shopping in person. (It would be more fun to physically go to estate sales and charity shops instead, but oh well.)

There was no indication whether the cards were sent or unsent, and only a handful were shown in the listing photo. It was a leap into a mystery!

I recommend charity auction lots only for people who don’t care about vintage/modern, mint/damaged, sent/unsent, tourist/general, etc. And pay attention in advance to shipping protocol so you don’t end up paying like 3 times as much for shipping than what you bid on the cards themselves.

P.S. Today they arrived and I got pretty anxious because it looked someone sent me drugs.

4 Likes

My school had a Christmas Bazar! The postcards were a little on the expensive side especially because the paper was a thinner type. The illustrations are really nice though.

4 Likes

I got some great postcards at The National Poo Museum. Its located in Sandown on the Isle of Wight. Its a small museum based in old public toilets. Its in a fort and at the top of a cliff with great views over the sandy beach.

6 Likes