Unpopular opinion: Am I the only one that dislikes world postcard day?

Why?
There’ll be always people who like to receive those later (not me :wink: ) as there are also people who like to receive Christmas cards all year or meeting cards from years ago. You can make lotteries for these cards or private swaps and so on…

5 Likes

I understand your point and in some part I agree.

Some time ago, I would even get a little upset about pretenders (people recurring to cliches rather than understanding the real reason behind a celebration). For example, I am not Irish, so in Saint Patrick’s I don’t dress up in green or wear a Leprechaun mask.

However, with all the violence and hate around the world, I’ve started to change my mind. This means, every “Day of…” is basically an opportunity to cherish something, remember something, celebrate something. So I decided to go with that boat. Let’s celebrate life, postcards, koalas, whatever makes us smile.

14 Likes

Yes, And I don’t think the intention is to celebrate each of these madly, with presents, decorations and cards. It can be sort of “objection” to commercial or religious/regional holidays, maybe with bad memories. Instead they find a family of likeminded, who like for example sudoku, and then celebrate it. Just not to feel so alone, and to feel connection with someone with same interest.

4 Likes

Yes, that was exactly my point. In addition to it, it also works as a way to make something known. Taking your “Sudoku day” for example. A friend invites me over for dinner and it happens to be “Sudoku day”. We suggest playing some just for fun. There might be a person who doesn’t know about it and can just find his/her best hobby.

4 Likes

Send them!

If people really dislike those cards they are free to mention it on their profile or just to stay inactive on WPD and the following days.
On the other hand they shouldn’t forget that they have to accept and register every single card they receive as long as it is a postcard :slight_smile:

To answer the topic, my personal opinion is, that like any other topic or World Days, there are people wo like it and those who dislike it.
It’s totally okay if one doesn’t want to take Part at WPD :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just because a handfull of people stated that here? There are hundredthousands of participants in Postcrossing.

1 Like

Maybe with time, some users will start to note that they are not interested in receiving WPD postcards…just like how users already state that they wish not to receive meetup cards.

3 Likes

I don’t care for it. I feel like it promotes quantity over quality. I don’t send on that day because I don’t want the badge.

4 Likes

People, let’s keep it friendly and not go on long-winded meta-discussions about what people mean by this word or that emoji… That’s not what is being discussed here.

7 Likes

In past years, I somehow stepped away from official postcard sending (although I still occasionally send one, two, five, ten, or the entire available slot number if I feel so) and became more active on forum.
Main reason for that is better quality (not quantity) of cards via tags and RRs. People take more time and at least write something about the card, not just Happy Postcrossing, ID number and signature which is very impersonal and for me a sign of speed sending and receiving.

I do not pay much attention to WPD, nor I am interested into such cards. But this year I will make an exception and send one card - not a special design, but ordinary card that will fit receivers wishes as much as possible.

2 Likes

I have my received my first WPD card as an official yesterday. It was not the official card, though. But I guess not sending on that day does not prevent anyone from receiving those.

I should think that people would note it on their profile if they do not like this kind of postcard.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: How are you celebrating World Postcard Day? Share your pictures and experiences

Some people like the World Postcard Day, and some don’t — and that’s ok!

I understand a healthy discussion includes different of points of view… but this topic is more for people who don’t like the event so much. Let’s give them room to discuss things and empathize with each other, and not just state that we really love the day or share how we are celebrating it, as that can come across as dismissive of their views.

There are plenty of other topics for that, and you’re really welcome on those! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But keeping the pros and cons each in a separate greenhouse does not lead to a fruitful discussion, it rather leads to more separation, which contradicts postcrossings aim to connect people.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking too, but it’s okay - I know things can easily get taken the wrong way when you’re communicating online.

2 Likes

The problem is, that many people are only tolerant towards people with the same opinion, I think.

1 Like

Getting connected can mean multiple things.

Let’s say I hate bread, and there’s another group that hates bread. We want to get connected, but in the meantime there’s all kinds of people that love bread, that tell us that we should just get on with our life’s and ignore the bread instead of talking about how we hate bread. It interrupts our connection.

I’m not saying that is happening here, I just wanted to give an example. It’s not that we can all be connected in everything. We all have likes and dislikes. If people dislike monkey cards, those that love monkey cards, shouldn’t go arguing. They should give each other room, giving each other room also is a form of connectedness. It means you respect the space of the other.

I actually made this topic, because I didn’t want to rain down in a topic that celebrates world postcard day. I wouldn’t want to go there and write: Ugh I don’t want to receive the same card 10 times.’ It would be no fun for those that enjoy it and are excited about it. I would interrupt the connection they are looking for, and invade they’re space.

3 Likes

But separation is the opposite of connection, but I think we cannot get together in this point, so I am out.

1 Like

It depends. This is how I see it. There are three groups.

Group 1: Those that like world postcard day
Group 2: Those that dislike world postcard day
Group 3: Both group 1 and 2.

I’d say this topic is for group 2 and the topic @meiadeleite mentioned is for group 1. In this topic group 2 can connect and in the other topic people of group 1 can connect.

If there is the feeling that people from group 1 and 2 want to connect, it would lead to a discussion topic. A topic about which world postcard day can be discussed. Where people can take room and discuss this, with understanding.

However, if people that like world postcrossing day, come in this topic. It means the people that dislike world postcrossing day cannot connect, because others create separation. When I write: I do not like WPD blabla, and someone wants to reply why they don’t like it. But then someone comes with: ‘Omg if this is all you have to worry about in life…’ This is shaming, and it shames us for wanting to connect on something we have in common.

I hope you understand this. Connection cannot be forced… It also cannot be taken, it means both parties have to give each other room. Some people however cannot do this. They are to invested in the idea of WPD or like it to much, that the stance some of the people hold here hurts them. This creates a really bad environment for both parties.

3 Likes