Unique Delivery Routes

Today I was browsing on FaceBook, and the below popped up as a unique delivery route when the seasonal post offices close in Yellowstone National Park. I am always interested in weird or unique delivery routes.

Can you imagine being the delivery person on this route?

19 Likes

There’s a canal mail boat on the Spree!

Maybe someone can find an English article?

Edit: Found one!

14 Likes

Mail to and from the Grand Canyon is delivered by mule. This happens six days a week, just like it does in a normal suburban neighborhood

• 10-22 mules are used daily, along with one wrangler on horseback, 6 days a week, traveling 9 miles down into the canyon to the Supai Post Office.
  • It takes 3 hours to get down and 5 hours to get back up
23 Likes

Just last week I saw this article in the Guardian.

14 Likes

And in the winter the mail is delivered on ice skates :grinning: Here’s an old postcard depicting the spectacle:

https://www.akpool.de/ansichtskarten/28129476-ansichtskarte-postkarte-luebbenau-im-spreewald-post-im-winter-boten-auf-dem-eis-mit-schlittschuhen#

11 Likes

Another delivery method in Switzerland, also includes pictures of postmen on skis.

The article is available in German, Italian and French but has not been translated into English.

5 Likes

For several years, pigeons used to carry mail and telegrams between Catalina Island and Los Angeles, in California!

5 Likes

They even have a special postmark for that

6 Likes

OMG I grew up in Reunion island, thank you for sharing !

1 Like

It’s strange how they have trained them to do this. It sounds impossible (like from the movies)

My Dutch relatives used to train carrier pigeons, although I don’t know how they did it. For a long time we had one of the little silver containers a pigeon would wear around its ankle, which - - when it was unscrewed and opened – could contain a message on very thin paper, to be delivered. Absolutely enchanted me, and it did seem like magic. Somewhere, along the way, it got lost, but the memory is vivid!

2 Likes

Wow indeed. What a way to deliver a message.

1 Like

Brooklyn New York
 :grin:

Delivering in NYC can get dicey.

3 Likes