unfamiliar with postcard

Any service personnel or family members out there that remember blueys?! :saluting_face::grin:

None of this is a surprise for me.
Internet! Internet! Internet!
Then, email, Facebook…

Cursive writing - not in the curriculum, but is making a comeback in the States!

My handwriting is a combination of cursive and calligraphy! Folks stopped and watch me write out a personal check. Remember those?!

In my neck of the woods, buying postcards is like “panning for gold!”

6 Likes

THANKS to everyone sharing their stories, thanks for your unique insight(s) on your respective “geographical spot(s)”! :+1:

Reading through all of these both entertaining and educational anecdotes from different corners of the world makes it once again feel super clear how sending postcards (and physical letters) is something in the “existence of humankind” that has already past its climax and is on its way of dying out.
[as so, sooo many other things have done over the centuries]

Related to these reflections and the tendencies evolving of your descriptions, I’d like to quote from this article:

"[…] Back to the future

The postal service as we once knew it has changed, of that there is no doubt. The number of letters that are hand-written and sent nowadays pales in significance with years gone by, usurped by the advent of email, text and social media platforms. Ask a random Generation Y-er or Millennial and they may not even know what written letters are! Likewise, any requests to send a postcard will likely be met with “I’ll send you a text or we can Facetime” instead! […]"

Source: The History and Evolution of the Postal Service

Buuut, since some of you might find these lines rather depressing, I’d like to add that I found this article quite entertaining and “good for nostalgia / reminiscence”.
It contains amongst others a picture of Australia’s first stamp and a postwoman delivering mail on horse! :smiley: :kangaroo: :postcard: :racehorse: :postbox:

5 Likes

I had the opposite experience recently at a theme park. The cashier was a young adult and said they always send postcards to their grandparents when on vacation. I told them to not make the mistake I made so many years and send one to yourself too. Like a diary about your trip so that you have your own keepsake from your travels. They looked at me like I just unlocked the secret to life. :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

My son is a freshman at Uni and I absolutely love sending him mail :heart:!

3 Likes

I started doing that a few years ago, but I send them to my BF instead… I briefly describe my fave things of that particular trip. It was heartwarming to find out he bought a special album to keep them in :smiling_face:

6 Likes

I was participating in InCoWriMo this February and talking to my coworkers at lunch about my mail on the daily basis… just to find out none of them knew that the cost for a domestic letter and postcard differs; that one can use older unused stamps for current mail; that people still send regular mail…

4 Likes

For registered mail here, they simply take a photo of the address on the envelope and the computer does the rest! The clerk adds the barcode sticker as well.

1 Like

Oh that’s cool! I wish we had that.

right?! what’s wrong with us, choosing a slower and inconvenient way of messaging :joy::sunglasses:

2 Likes

wow, even the postal worker themselves :sweat_smile:

1 Like

i assume everyone learn about it at least in school :slight_smile:

interesting how they still sell postcard even though at the same time saying it’s a thing in the past​:sweat_smile::sweat_smile:
wow, very cool to have art as postcard :slight_smile: glad they know postcrossing through you

1 Like

thats so kind of you to send them mails too and get that joy in old-fashioned things :slight_smile:

i had same confusion about stamps :slight_smile:
ooh, now that you said it, knowledge about these doesnt always correlate with age :slight_smile:

3 Likes

interesting :slight_smile: this is my first time hearing prepaid postcard too

whoa :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like

last statement is so true!

interesting point of view! it’s a “new” way to communicate :slight_smile:

and wow that’s a great success in influencing your grandchild :sunglasses:

1 Like

funny :slight_smile: