UNESCO stamps from your country

Hi to all!
Almost every country has some Unesco heritage sites and maybe they also have stamps showing these Unesco heritage sites.

Like this one from Bosnia and Herzegovina :bosnia_herzegovina:, Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar I received and I think is beautiful.

So I am asking “Does your country have stamps showing Unesco World heritage sites?”
Share them, please.

5 Likes

So these are Unesco WHS stamps from Slovakia:
€ - available
Sk - not available

Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes (Western Segment)

Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe

Wooden Churches of the Slovak part of the Carpathian Mountain Area

Caves of Aggtelek Karst and Slovak Karst

Historic Town of Banská Štiavnica and the Technical Monuments in its Vicinity

Vlkolínec

Levoča, Spišský Hrad and the Associated Cultural Monuments

Bardejov Town Conservation Reserve

9 Likes

I live in France but I’m Hungarian and in Hungary I know there are. I have these, I don’t know if there is more

4 Likes

In Croatia we can still use this ones
Plitvice lakes (8.60 is price for postcard)

Cathedral of St. James in Šibenik (not really for it but for the anniversary of the town)

Not in use anymore but they show UNESCO sites

Basilica in Poreč

Diocletian palace in Split

Old city of Dubrovnik

8 Likes

Apologies for my long presentation (First Part - After 2000)

1. Holy Virgin Keharitomeni Panagia Araka church Lagoudera (issued on 14.11.2019)

AUX-i

1. Europa 2017 - Paphos Castle Stamp 64c (issued on 04.05.2017)

1. Paphos Capital of Culture 2017 Aphrodite Rock and Temple (issued on 24.03.2017)

1. Lighthouse of Paphos, Part of the Archaeological Park (issued on 04.05.2011)

04.05.2011 Unesco Paphos Lighthouse

1. Visit of pope Benedict. Next to the pope’s portrait the archaeological site of St Paul’s Pillar situated in Paphos (issued on 04.06.2010
    04.06.2010 Unesco - Pope and Saint Paul Archaeological Site

2. Tombs of the Kings 43c (issued on 02.10.2008 - fourth stamp first row)

1. Choirokoitia Settlement 43c (issued on 02.10.2007 - third stamp first row)

1. Frescoes of Metamorphosis Church in Paleochori village (issued on 21.11.2002 - three stamps 13, 25 and 30 cents)

21.12.2002 Μεταμόρφωση3

21.12.2002 Μεταμόρφωση2

21.12.2002 Μεταμόρφωση1

5 Likes

Mesa Verde National Park, stamp issued in 1934.

3 Likes

Fujian Tulou

Palace Museum

4 Likes

From India

9 Likes

This stamp was supposed to celebrate the inscription of Taputapuatea marae on the UNESCO WHS list, but it only shows Raiatea, the island where it is. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Wow. I really like this stamp. :heart_eyes:

22.04.1987 Unesco Churches in Troodos (9x stamps)

29.12.1989 Mosaics of Paphos Definitive series of 15 stamps (I share only 10 because of nudity shown on some mosaics)

3p

40c

25c

20c

18c

15c

10c

7c

2c

1c

4 Likes

We have 4 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Belarus. I found this stamp issued for 60th anniversary of Belarus’ entry into UNESCO:

And separately for the sites:
Nesvizh Castle:

imageimage

Mir Castle Complex:

Białowieża Forest:

Struve Geodetic Arc:

8 Likes

I think this is really interesting. I collect UNESCO sites on stamps and it is rather challenging to identify the sites.

Just in this thread I discovered some stamps that I have but didn’t realise they were world heritage. Like Poloniny National Park in Slovakia: the UNESCO website only lists the subparks of Poloniny that are part of the world heritage… or Nesvizh castle on Belarus Europa 1998 - I only read cyrillic letters very slowly and missed this…

Germany has released about 170 different stamps (since 1949, including East Germany) with world heritage sites… and I keep discovering some.

Just last week there was a new stamp dedicated to Heinrich Schliemann which has a bit of Troy (UNESCO site in Turkey) in the background.

I tried to make a list of world heritage sites on French stamps… it is 9 pages long (starting in 1924). And some of it is really complicated. Like “banks of the Seine” world heritage site which is a central part of Paris. You really have to look at the UNESCO maps: Eiffel tower, Les Invalides, Louvre, pont neuf, Notre Dame all part of the world heritage site, Arc de Triomphe, Elysee, palace, Opera Garnier: not part of it.

Anyway, if there are other collectors out there, I would love to get in contact. Share insights or swap stamps.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

1 Like

Is Paphos castle part of the world heritage site?I looked at the UNESCO maps, but don’t know the area well enough to identify the details.

They list:

• ancient Nea Paphos (Aphrodite’s Sacred City)
  • Kato Paphos necropolis known as Tafoi ton Vasileon (“Tombs of the Kings”)
  • remains of the Temple of Aphrodite (Aphrodite’s Sanctuary) and Palaepaphos (Old Paphos)

Does that include the castle?

Insight appreciated.
Wolfgang

1 Like

Due to the big number of historical monuments that we have in Paphos, a big part of the so called Kato Paphos (down side of the city) is a protected zone from local department of Antiquities and Unesco. The main historical monuments are:

1. St Paul Pillar archaeological site with the Orthodox Agia Kyriaki Church.
  2. Paphos Medieval Castle
  3. Paphos Archaeological park with the Ancient Mosaics, Odeon and Lighthouse
  4. Tombs of the Kings.

There are still some monuments that are part of a current archaelogogical excavation like:

1. Fabrica’s Hill
  2. Roman Theatre near the Fabrica’s Hill

There are also monuments (still) not included in the Unesco List like:

1. Agia Solomoni Catacomb
  2. Panagia Limeniotissa (built in Early Christian period)

Lately due to road works in the tourist area and in the center of Paphos new archaeological finds come up to light new pieces of history. In general we can say that Paphos is a small archaeological wonderland. Sometimes those finds can be a curse because “they” cause delay to renovation… There are also many illegal excavations, but this is a long and complicate story.

1 Like

I put the UNESCO map and google maps next to each other. On the UNESCO map the light green parts are the ones inscribed in the world heritage list. In a large area the green line overlaps with the blue (the whole left part of the map). But it looks to me that the castle on that little peninsula sits just outside the world heritige inscribed area…

2 Likes
2 Likes

Some vintage and recent Sri Lankan stamps featuring UNESCO sites

1. Sacred City of Anuradhapura

Abhayagiri-Hill

2. Ancient City of Polonnaruwa
    f69a9846c2a0e26398b338251dee046d

3. Ancient City of Sigiriya

Aerial-View-Sigiriya-Rock
    Sigiri

4. Sacred City of Kandy

unesco-cultural-triangle-project (1)