Unclear handwritten ID numbers

I was quite surprised when I learned in 2010 when I went to high school in the US that the US 7 is more like a 1 and the 1 is just an capital i or non capital L

For reference why the number look the way they look :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
https://images.app.goo.gl/nBFmdZtSNvpSCqEi8

4 Likes

must be because i’m dutch(?) but to me those are very clearly 7’s and 8’s. i don’t understand how anyone can think that’s a 2.

It’s because they look like two separte drawn circles.
The 8 here look like they have a really big ‘belly’.

That’s really interesting!

Maybe because the Dutch are the only ones I know which learn to write an 8 like this. A little resarch let me find this:

And when executed sloppily Dutch 8s look more than hieroglyphics than anything else.

Edit: And people from Indonesia do it as well. But that might be a remnant of the Dutch East Indies.

6 Likes

Yeah, exactly. You can see the motion they’re using to write them, but it’s not a way I’ve seen it done before. Mostly I’ve seen people write it like on the right of your image or like a snowman, two ovals stacked on top of each other.

Edit: I do know how to spell.

now you put them together like that i understand the difference yes. funny, i never noticed before. now i wonder if people are having a hard time figuring out my id codes. i never got any complaints though. hmm.

These fours give me trouble. They can’t really be anything but fours, but even knowing what they are I can’t read them as fours.

Reading this thread I am realizing that being a math teacher in both Germany and the US has made me really good at reading handwritten numbers.
For reference, in the past eight years, I have completely shifted to writing my ones as just a tick mark and sevens with a bar.
This only leading to problems when teaching absolute value …

I’m Canadian and I do that too, only because I have terrible handwriting so it’s easier for other people to read :sweat_smile:

Yknow I don’t remember why but I start my 8 in the middle.
And I write 9 from the bottom?

I had a good laugh at your struggles @SailingBy :joy:
I have to admit I would have thought those 8s were zeroes.

I really feel paranoid about my numbers because I write in block letters. So I don’t want my zero to be mistaken for O, or my one to be mistaken for I. Or 1 for 7.

1 Like

A few days ago I got NL-4781828 and as I read the 8 I remembered this thread

The first 8 could’ve been harder for me if it wasn’t for the 2

I find these 8s so fascinating! Good thing you had the 2 for reference :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This way to write an 8 seems to be very common in the Netherlands. I received a couple of Dutch cards with these. I was a little confused the first time but luckily have an 8 in my postal code for reference. Now I know that it’s an 8 :smile:

I live in house number 31 and once a letter to house number 37 was delivered here by mistake. That 7 looked like in your picture.

I got an ID with a number which looks more like ‘h’. In fact it was a 4 - but for me a upsidedown 4.

same for me, I love this topic. It’s just fascinating

Hi there. Can anyone help me with this id number?

I would guess 1442241

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response! (And you were right, I was able to register the card :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like