? UK postcard bundles and customs declarations

I recently sent a couple of bundles of postcards to forum members: one to India, one to America and one to Europe. They contained between 3-6 postcards and were classed under the UK Post system as small/standard letter(£2.55 due to weight over 20g). I was surprised when, on the second visit to post the bundle to India, the post assistant told me that I should put a custom declaration on these to ensure that they were delivered. What do other UK Postcrossers do?

On this occasion I did and the assistant kindly gave me a few extra so I can fill them in at home next time. They don’t cost anything but I’m not entirely convinced that they are needed. What are other people’s thoughts on this?

1 Like

This is the information I could find from Royal Mail: Help with customs and sending items abroad

Written postcards are considered documents, so there is no custom declaration needed imho. But I write something like -documents only- on the envelope then (if it’s a thicker one).

1 Like

if the weight is more than 20 grams, in Italy a declaration is needed

1 Like

Yes, I now put customs forms on my envelopes with more than 3 postcards inside.
As I only send via standard post, I use the CN22 label forms from my local PO and usually mark my items as a ‘Gift’ or Philatelic Items/Postcards.

Recently some of my (recent) forum swaps have either gone missing or have been opened.
I have had some rare maxicards (in envelope) gone missing too.

Only one letter I received, which was from India, was opened by UK customs.

I don’t think it is just ‘Brexit’ but since the UK left the customs union, the UK border & customs has become a lot more stricter for worldwide post.

2 Likes

Yes, I asked about this in the Post Office recently and they said I needed a declaration on anything going outside Europe.

2 Likes

Sadly since Brexit almost anything over a certain weight or size needs a customs label. Even postcards! I used to be able to send tea bags with no trouble to Germany, but now they need the customs label…

I guess it’s just another part of Postcrossing now…

All the best…

1 Like

I’ve sent quite a lot of “fat mail” type envelopes and just put correct postage (£1.70 or £2.55) depending on destination/weight and posted them in my normal postbox without anything else… So far no problem - they’ve mostly been received without issue. I’ve avoided to send food, so mainly just cards/stickers/paper samples etc.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. It seems to be quite a mixed picture really. I guess it’s better to put on custom declaration on postcard bundles than not given that it’s not clear if it’s necessary or not.

2 Likes