Travelling time 1 day or 0

My fastest card amazed me … three days from Nantucket island, USA to near Washington, DC. Dropped the card at the Post Office before the 1PM (13.00) Saturday closing time. Next two days were a Sunday followed by a Monday legal holiday, so there should have been little, if any, mail processing I would have thought. Normally, I’d expect mail like that to take four or five business days rather than next delivery day.

1 Like

I doubt I would receive a card within a day, even if I addressed it to myself :joy::rofl:

12 Likes

Haha, I’ve sent cards to myself and they all took 4 - 6 days!

5 Likes

I live in Hungary and several times I have found that when I post a card to someone in Germany and one to my friend living in a different city in Hungary, the postcard arrives sooner to Germany than it does within the country. My friend and I have experiemented with this a bit and we got the same result almost every time. So much for domestic mail in Hungary :joy:

1 Like

A travel time of 0 or 1 days is impossible nowadays, but in the past it was possible when mail traveled faster within my own country. Today, it can take almost two weeks before the mail reaches a neighboring town. So pathetic! Sending a postcard is faster abroad (e.g. Netherlands or UK takes 3-4 days) than within my own country.

1 Like

Not a postcard and not Postcrossing, but a few weeks ago I sent a letter to a penpal. Distance about 500 km. I put it in the mailbox at about 9:45 p.m., the box was emptied at 10 p.m.
On the next morning at about 7:45 a.m. my friend told that she got my letter.

I was really surprised. But this shows me it’s possible to get a 0 days travel time (as it is less than 12 hours).

Nevertheless, the chance that this will really happen is probably very small.

7 Likes

:grin:

:postbox: Traveltime Belgium - Poland = 0 days?

België- Polen

Countdown Belgium

1 Like

@JetteLise This is not related to this thread’s topic, but I just wanted to say thank you for sharing the link to the Belgium countdown! I completely forgot about that from the previous forum! I remember there was a section of that forum specifically for countdowns, but here it looks like the countdowns are in each community’s sub-forum. And it seems like the North America countdown hasn’t been updated for a while. But it’s fun that some countdowns are still taking place! :grinning:

1 Like

I had an official card I mailed from Nantucket island on Saturday morning. Sunday. Monday holiday. Tuesday, it was registered at an address near Washington, DC.

Finally I have 0 day. Yes, the recipient updated her address 3 hours after I got her address :smiley:

8 Likes

Last Saturday this postcard arrived in my mailbox in only 1 DAY :wink:

5 Likes

From moderator @Bille

2 Likes

Cards within Germany usually arrive the following day, so, yes, I have quite a few “1 day” cards - IF I manage to post them the very day I wrote them, that is … :wink:

I used to got the address from a China postcrosser and it was registered automatically after that. So, traveling time for this postcard is 0 day with no sending the real postcard.
That postcrosser has inactive nearly 2 years now.

I’m not sure that the system register automatically due to changing address or inactive user.

1 Like