Travel mode in special places

Well for me if you can use a different internet connection whilst in a your own country, so as the example was given being in Germany but on a Dutch network, then this is not the fault of Postcrossing, merely a loophole in which “travel Mode” can be taken advantage from. I can see ow some would complain and it might be cheating, but then if Postcrossing were able to stop it, would this not take some of the fun out of sending a card in Travel Mode, or would Postcrossing simply have to remove travel mode for sending official postcards?

No mights about it. It is cheating.

Postcrossing is able to stop cheating members quite easily. If no valid explanation and the cheating continues the account is suspended and then removed.

Members do not like cheaters as it ruins the experience for everyone. Members complain to Postcrossing about cheaters.

Vicki

7 Likes

This is a classic case of a postcrosser using a VPN to send postcards from a different location from where they currently are.

Sadly the Antigua & Barbuda Wall is full of crappy postcards from a thankfully closed postcrossers account based out of Italy.
I’ve picked a few of the nicer ones below

Or North Korea

I personally use a VPN and have thought about doing such thing, but not only do I find it cheating, but I also personally find it a form of fraud.

1 Like

Recently I recieved a postcard from China with a Danish Code, but the postcrosser explained the reason why, she was studying in Copenhagen at the time of requesting the card but since returned home in China, and was unable to return to DK.
In such circumstances I don’t mind this.

4 Likes

It is possible to use travel mode within your own country, but maybe not as “exciting” to the receiver.

I started using travel mode on my travels to other countries and like it. I would, however, feel cheeted if another traveller used travel mode by using any kind of method, if they actually were not in that country. It is not what travel mode is for.

2 Likes

I use Travel Mode within my country (USA). I do this when I am traveling to someplace interesting or where the kilometers traveled or delivery time might be substantially different than from my home.

Here’s one I sent from a ski lodge in the mountains:

And here’s one from a small town I spent 6 weeks in for work:

The result is that you end up with lots of “little houses” in your map view. But it’s also a fantastic way to remember short trips that you might have forgotten out, like a trip to the coast:

2 Likes

My wife has received two “rare country” travel mode cards. One with a Congo ID was sent in an envelope from the USA, the other with an Ecuador ID was sent from Mexico.

Now that travel mode has been running for some time, I have reached the conclusion that I do not care about what code number is written on the card. For example, a card with a German ID, sent from Mongolia with Mongolian stamps and postmark is far more desirable in my opinion than the same card with Mongolian ID, sent from Germany after the PXer returned home.

8 Likes

Dear all!
I am the friend EDC83 refers to.
When I stayed in the holiday park in Germany, run by a Dutch company, I just wondered about Dutch internet KPN and tried what happens if I go into travel mode. Wow, it worked… And YES, it would be cheating!
Now please know: When not at holiday, I live very very close to the Netherlands. I always have Dutch postcards and stamps and so of course I sent the “cheated” NL cards with Dutch card and stamp from origin. So it wasn’t really cheating!

What I am UNHAPPY with:

1. Not only that it obviously is possible to cheat but much more
  2. That it is NOT possible to use travel mode if you are physically in another country but mobile stays connected to your phone company (via roaming or however that works):

I went to Aachen / Germany and there is a point where 3 countries meet: Germany, Belgium and Netherlands. I wanted to send a travel mode card from Belgium but I had no chance, even when driving further into the country…

Any idea if there is ANY possibility to use travel mode if not connected to a network of that country? How can people send from Antarctica or some exotic places if there is no network?

1 Like

You can contact Postcrossing via the contact sheet on the main page in such cases and they can set you in travel mode manually. I wish I had known that before!

4 Likes

A very very late but warm THANK YOU ! :wink: