Travel Mode ✈️ Destinations - Questions - Opinions

I feel very sorry for you. Maybe due to covid some countries closed sending to Iran just after your address was given out. Then they must be in the pipeline.
I presume you contacted your local post office.
Note that expired cards towards you drop of the list after one year and you are clean but that is long patience.

I wonder if you could sent cards from Iran via a second country with cheaper costs. Many, or maybe better some, postcrossers mail out in a cheaper country. Like Danmark and NL mailed out in Germany. Anyway hope your cards show up soon.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I appreciate your thoughts very much, but this is a prob from years ago. And because of our economical situation to send from other countries is muuuuuch more expensive unfortunately, but sometimes I do it!!!

One of the three cards I sent from Croatia last week arrived today!

3 Likes

I love the travel mode. I used it last year, when I escaped for a few days to Italy.
It was a very spontaneous trip when corona incidences were low, and it was great. I even sent a few cards from Vatican State and I hope the recipients were happy.

2 Likes

I got one of your Italian cards and liked it very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a question. Anyone knows which location list or city/district database Postcrossing uses? Where to find the comprehensive list containing all the location names and coordinates?

I used it in my own country as I were not able to travel to another country this summer!
For me, it is pretty cool to see these little houses on my map and I think it makes a difference sending from the north or middle of Germany :blush:

I am looking forward to do a weekend or day-trip to the Netherlands and send a card form there and of course when I go further I won’t forget about this - it is so cool!

1 Like

I love travel mode! I can’t wait until its easier to travel again… nothing better than getting my nose into a new countries postal system!
I have been on travel mode in Australia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos (Laos have the best stanps but you need to use so many there is no room left for writing!!), Costa Rica, Nicaragua… and a few places around Europe. I move twice a year due to work so often end up with tons of cards backed up to come to me when I get a new address :grin:

I’ve drawn today some addresses in Luxembourg :luxembourg:

5 Likes

@varn We use Geonames — you can check their database (and even contribute to it) here: http://www.geonames.org/

2 Likes

4 - do like 3, but go to a DR-postoffice and get them cancelled manually.

I have sended so many cards from DR and none arrived…

I love travel mode and have sent from FI, EE, LV and LT during the last week and a half. Next will be DE (again).

3 Likes

I have used Travel Mode only for sending cards from Åland Islands meetups because I don’t travel a lot, I have only been to Stockholm Sweden and Tallinn Estonia :passenger_ship: so I do my travelling through postcrossing :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Has anyone used travel mode for long periods of time?

I’m on plan to temporarily relocate to Canada later this year but I’ll be travelling around for up to two years, so travel mode appeals to me so I can still send people postcards from my travels. I realise I won’t receive postcards during this time, and I don’t think I’ll settle anywhere for long enough to switch travel mode off and start receiving postcards at an address there.

I don’t think the length of time will matter as much as how many cards you send. If you send too many more than you receive, your account will be blocked until you register some.

3 Likes

Ah I didn’t even think about that! Thank you :slight_smile:

I will go to Philippines in May to visit my fiancee and I’m excited to use travel mode from there. Hopefully can send lots of beautiful cards from there!

2 Likes

Sent in Travel Mode from Lofoten, Norway:

The latter is also a local card from Lofoten, but it only has the location on the back.

2 Likes

I used Travel Mode when I visited Mexico in December. It’s March and some of the cards are still traveling :slightly_frowning_face:. Everything I sent to Germany arrived after its expiration date.

I had a question that your comment has prompted me to ask. Are you supposed to use travel mode when you are within your own country? If so, how far away do you have to be from home for it to make sense to use it?