Translating/Transcribing postcard messages

I’m afraid it’s worth repeating. Some have dismissed the potential problem of someone being offended that their postcard message is published on the forum. Similarly, the situation of going for many rounds for a translation may occur. The difference is one of fairness.

So new major points are more than welcomed.

Again, it’s your opinion that it is a problem that someone might be potentially offended by having the back of their card without identifiers shared on the translation thread. No one is dismissing your opinion. Many people are, instead, disagreeing. I do not believe that this potential is a problem big enough to necessitate a change.

When people do not acknowledge that you are right, that doesn’t mean that you just keep spamming them with your opinion until they do.

I just keep track of how my suggestion evolved. I didn’t arrive at this at the beginning, but thanks to comments from all of you, this is what I’ve come up with. So any new major points to its pros and cons would be much appreciated.

So many better things can be done instead of maintaining a problematic thread.

This thread has gotten to the point of bizarre. I am not sure why you are quoting yourself but responding to me. I can’t understand where the quotes are coming from. Anyway, I’ve more than said my piece. I’m out. Good luck with your pursuit.

3 Likes

Despite various characterizations – some friendly others not of my pursuit – I’d like to draw attention to the subject topic, how to reconcile the inconsistency between the translation thread and the community guidelines. The issue that I spotted is structural. It doesn’t need “victims” to speak out to make it true. Taking into consideration comments from different camps, I’ve arrived at this proposed measure: Blanket ban of the public posting of postcard writings across the forum. The reasons for my recommendation are as follows:

Whether one agrees or disagrees, all comments are welcomed. However, I would love to see a major point that could be added to my argument, or even a completely different solution. It must be inclusive – not just about the translation/transcription subgroup but all Postcrossers (forum members, non-forum members, moderators, etc.).

Why is it better to send the back of a postcard to another member (or several, if the first can’t help), where the data will be slumbering in the messages forever, than posting it in the topic where it will be deleted in due time? :thinking: Sorry, but I don’t get your point there.

There is a rule that a postcard"s backside should not be published, and one exception for the purpose of translation (or simply being able to read it), which is under the control of moderation. I can’t see how it is unfair to members not using the forum to not alert them of the translation topic, because the exception only applies to an extremely small amount of Postcrossing cards.

Website owners / enterprises don’t write terms and conditions with the goal of regulating every small detail to cover even unlikely settings; you’ll try to set general rules which will apply to the majority of cases, and state important rules.

If Postcrossing followed up on your suggestion, I’m sure there would be a thing coming up which is equally unlikely, applying only to a few cards out of hundreds of thousands, but expected to be mentioned in the terms and conditions. In my opinion stating rules for every small, unlikely case would be neither helpful, nor legally recommendable.

Edit: Another thought : If you write a card to another member and eather use a language not mentioned in their profile, or have an unreadable handwriting, you have to put up with the possibility that the card is shown to others for help. I agree that posting it in the translation thread is more than just showing it to a colleague at work, but I would strongly prefer it that my data is deleted in time by the moderators, than kept by third persons I’d know nothing about. How can you rule out that the translating member doesn’t post the data elsewhere?!

8 Likes

Not everyone. Many think that if the sender isn’t writing clearly enough, or language they understand, then why bother. Probably they didn’t put any effort to the message either.

I think you understand that it can be much more than one? Not everyone is here on the forum. Even if they are, they don’t read everything. They don’t come here often. Even when they read, they don’t feel confident to comment.
Because I think a different, maybe not the popular opinion, is not always treated very nicely.
Their concern is diminished, even denied. “Don’t be so upset” " It’s only problem to you" “No one else cares about it”, “don’t spam”. not healthy conversation, I don’t think what this is in Englsih, but maybe gaslighting?

Like this. To me @varn isn’t spamming. He is reading the other opinions, thinking them, adding new thoughts, it definitely is not spamming. If someone is, maybe you? What new things are in your messages? Nothing. You spam that it’s only one’s problem, it’s your opinion, it’s not big enough problem…in several messages.

I also don’t like my messages published.
I have thought this before, and writing about this, how Postcrossing should show a good example. Now when the postcards are published here, some people take it like they can publish the cards everywhere else, because they are published here as well.
But, knowing I have high standards for privacy and how this type of opinions are often treated not nicely, I have never made clear enough topic out of my thoughts, so I’m happy @varn did.

2 Likes

If the translating thread is still kept, I think it would be at least tiny bit better, if it were visible only to members.

And someone checking the message, that there is not private information showing (like their address, postcard id, full names etc). Also if the images/translation requests were published by admin, it would be not as easy to see who sent it.

2 Likes

Of course not, sorry I wasn’t precise enough.

Thank you @S_Tuulia for speaking up. That means a lot!

The blanket ban that I propose won’t change the world but will make Postcrossing a simpler, better place for Postcrossers.

1 Like

No. It is simply not a problem. You make one out of it!

3 Likes

That would make things more complicated and that is not exactly a better place.

1 Like

I’m sorry, but I disagree. Your suggestion doesn’t make it simpler, neither for the users, nor for the admins… Getting help for reading and understanding a postcard will be more complicated and cost more time.

There’s a need for the topic ; if things get too complicated here, people will find faster, simpler solutions, for example by sharing the backside of the card in a Facebook group. I really prefer keeping the simple solution here, under moderation.

6 Likes

That’s true, but only for the translation/transcription subgroup. My intention is to come up with a solution for Postcrossing as a whole. Also, a blanket ban is easier for moderators to implement than to screen the contents of postcard writings.

I don’t like to pick a fight but am not afraid of taking one either. Kindly look what you did in the 1891st post of the translation thread Need help translating a postcard you've received?

What do you mean? What solution for which problem is missing here? Where do pictures of written sides get posted regularly besides the translation topic?

If I stumble upon such a picture in another topic, I’ll flag it and the moderators will take care of it. I don’t see a recurring problem here

5 Likes

Appended below is my main argument in the opening post for ease of reference. Your concern is listed in the cons.

@varn I repeat my question :

Edit : The “Handmade” thread is such a place, but there it’s about decorations and the messages are blurred out.

I get the impression that the discussion is an academic one about a theoretical problem…

5 Likes

Well, that is the very problem that I’m trying to address here, that is, pictures of written sides getting posted publicly somewhere (be it dispersed or concentrated) on the forum.

I understand it sounds theoretical to many. I’d rather call it structural (Postcrossing team is officially allowing this by introducing opaque exceptions to the otherwise clear-cut community guidelines).

Good observation. Actually people in need of a translation/transcription can also post the written side of a postcard with the writings blurred, if they wish, to offer a little preview/tease of the postcard (size, etc.). As initially proposed, the actual translation takes place in private.

1. Which “opaque exceptions” ? There’s one clear, transparent exception : the translation topic. As you used the plural, please tell us what you’re referring to.

2. I get it that it is a theoretical problem. But as I wrote above, why regulate theoretical details if the issue is already clearly covered by the rule “don’t publish the written side”?

4 Likes