Too disturbing to send?

like others have said, your card perfectly matches her wishes. i have to say i received some cards before that matches my wishlist as well but i didnt quite enjoy, but i would never say so in the hurray message. firstly, my wishes are quite vague (on purpose) and secondly, most importantly, the sender really tried to send me something that they think i would like. that is super sweet. even that thought makes me happy, more so than the front of the card.

and also it is absolutely not fair of her to mention her children in the hurray message. if she wants child friendly cards she should say so in her profile.

9 Likes

I agree generally, but did you look at the card? I wouldn’t say this one is mainstream, because it can be perceived as scary in my opinion.

2 Likes

I did look at the card and love it. It’s a powerful depiction of an extremely well known literary character and is an important part of the arts and culture of a country. It’s not like it’s an image from a Hollywood slasher movie.

If one specified that they wanted to receive Halloween cards and received this, you think it was a bad match? I still think it’s perfect.

8 Likes

You’re right, it is a perfect match for someone requesting Halloween cards.

3 Likes

I’d love to receive such a postcard!

But personally if someone has profile which states that particular user likes cute things, I’d send something more easily likeable (children’s book illustration, flowers, animals etc.).
I’d keep postcard like this for some culture vulture - someone, who mentions music, art, literature on their profile.

edit: I looked too at her profile - it doesn’t make sense.:sweat_smile: If you don’t want to receive some postcards - just simply mention it. If you have them on your wishlist - don’t be angry when you receive postcards matching your wishes. If you have in mind some subcategory which isn’t obvious at all (e.g. Halloween means for you black cats and cute girls in witches’ costumes) - explain it.

You did your best.

8 Likes

I don’t like scary things and I don’t find that card too disturbing or controversial. It is an artistic representation of an important literary figure. I guess perhaps if they didn’t notice the black torso and thought it was just a disembodied head. I don’t think you did anything wrong though.

I have received a card which matched my wishlist but which I didn’t really like for personal reasons (it showed a shirtless man which I just felt objectified that individual too much but I also realize I have a more conservative view of the world than others). I decided not to keep the card but said thank you to the recipient and left the image on my wall. Not everyone’s tastes are the same but you tried to fit their wishlist.

You could offer another card if you’d like, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Perhaps you could explain why you sent the card with an apology for disturbing them but again, I don’t think it’s necessary.

2 Likes

I hope it had a description on the back, so that it was not taken out of context. If I don’t know that it is from the book and all, I might be a bit worried why someone is sending me this, what it could mean, or why they selected it. But once you know the background, it’s just an illustration of a famous book, that matches 3 different things from the profile, and then I would understand.
That it was a stamp in the UK, that I wouldn’t know so I wouldn’t even think of that.

In short I think it depends on what the recipient has been explained about the card on the back.

I once saw (didn’t receive, just saw) a postcard with a photo of military that are about to execute their captive. Now that kind of thing, for me is not ok, whatever the context. For example.

Very simply, you did nothing wrong. The recipient should register the card and toss it. This wringing of hands about some received cards really puzzles me.

14 Likes

I think it was an acceptable postcard to send to someone who likes reading, Halloween, and stamps, particularly if it was sent with a matching stamp! :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m reading this topic and it made me think. I wrote in my profile that I don’t like cards with any dark topics. But it also says that I like true crime and history, which are dark topics. I wonder if it looks confusing :sweat_smile: I guess reading about dark things and receiving dark pictures are two different things.

I looked at the card and the recipient profile. To me the Frankenstein card image is more sad than horrific. But, there was nothing on her profile to indicate you shouldn’t send it. Nowhere did she say she has children or that the card should be child-friendly. And she did say she wants Halloween cards! The Boris Karloff “Frankenstein” mask is a fixture of Halloween, here in North America at least.

Strictly speaking I think you owe her neither an apology nor a new card, but you might like to offer one or both out of kindness, along with the gentle suggestion that she include “child-friendly” etc. on her profile to avoid future distress.

12 Likes

Dont read to much into it. The upside you will never be matched up with them again.

4 Likes

I just had a look at this card. It’s amazing. I would love to receive such a unique card. Don’t worry about the message too much. Sometimes people like the cards they receive and sometimes they don’t. You’ve done nothing wrong.

1 Like

Well that is what the person requested. Yet when they received it, they responded negatively.

1 Like

I believe that it said directly on the front who it was. When you look at the picture of the postcard, it is very obviously a stamp.

2 Likes

I wonder if the parent even is aware Frankenstein is a classic piece of literature? Perfect time to explain art.
I imagine the Royal Mail has a committee that reviews stamps. I wouldnt worry about it.
I would love to get that card.

4 Likes

I read that wringing of hands comments so differently. I thought they were directing it at the receiver not the sender. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s a great card. The art work is no different than one might see at an art gallery, on a public ad, magazine or book cover, etc.

You fulfilled her wishes, which you’re not obliged to do. Sending you that message, no matter how politely worded was unnecessary.

Postcards and postage from the U.K. are expensive. I would absolutely not offer to send another.

Ignore, move on. Some people will complain about anything.

2 Likes

Fair enough. My apologies if that was the case :+1:t2:.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with sending this card. Even without context, it would be the portrait of a man with a scarred face. That’s nothing one would not encounter in real life, and probably sooner than later.
I recognize the recipient’s wish to protect her children. However, that responsibility cannot be delegated to you. If she thinks that images are not suitable for her children, it is on her to not show the cards to them.

5 Likes