Thoughts on prestamped

Similar to me have you found yourself scratching and it doesn’t come off, it’s prestamped mail. What I’m wondering is everyone’s thoughts on them; do you frown, or do you not mind that much? I assume the sender can strike a bargain when they buy, but does the receiver’s perception outweigh the benefit?

2 Likes

Canada Post has some very lovely postage-paid cards that I’ve been tempted to buy but I find on Postcrossing people mostly do want real stamps, so I’ve never bought them.

I wish Canada Post would just sell the postcards on their own, but I can understand their appeal if you’re on holiday & you want to send a postcard without buying postal stamps which can be hard or a hassle to find depending on where you are sometimes.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/shop-magasin/en/stamps-timbres/postcards-cartes-postales.jsf

2 Likes

I’m not a stamp collector so I wouldn’t mind it. But I’ve found that a lot of Postcrossers do like real stamps.

Personally, I feel that if it’s not too much trouble for the sender, then they should accommodate the receiver’s wishes (even if the receiver wants real stamps). But at the same time, receivers should understand that not everyone has easy access to real stamps so if they get a preprinted one, then they should accept that it was sent in good faith. Basically, people should just be kind to one another. :wink:

6 Likes

you can see more opinions about pre-paid postcards here: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like them! It’s cool to see what different postal services offer. And I can confirm what @LC-Canada said about the Canadian pre-paid cards; they’re very nice. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’m a person mentioning that I like stamps on my postcard, but I like those pre paid Canadian postcards a lot! They’re awesome. I only mention stamps, because I don’t like label stamps / meter stamps or those codes written by hand available in some countries.

It would be a shame to miss on those beauties!

10 Likes

I use the pre-paid Canada Post postcards for some of my postcards. I think most people view them as collectables and they actually have a nice “stamp” on the back (it is printed onto the postcard, but still forms a stamp image). In my years of Postcrossing, I haven’t had anyone complain and most if not all have complimented the nice postcards. To me, the Canada Post pre-paid postcards are fairly unique and can only be found in Canada (other countries have their own versions, but not the same images, etc.).

The pre-paid postcards that I have received from other countries like Australia and China are really nice - so I don’t mind them and it reflects a small part of the local postal system. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Belarusian pre-paid cards are rather unique

https://belpost.by/en/philately/catalog?types[]=postcard

But I guess it wouldn’t be comfortable to use them for Postcrossing since you need to write adress on the picture side and you also still need to put extra stamps on it for international delivery.

Don’t mind pre-paid cards btw

1 Like

I have received Australian postcards ‘postage paid’ also.
You could always stick on an extra ( used) stamp somewhere to please stamp colletors?

1 Like

I wouldn’t mention it in my “thank you” message, but, no matter how much I try to be open-minded, I am almost always disappointed, if there is no real stamp on the snailmail I receive! :pensive:

Especially since I know Canada has super-beautiful stamps and I get them on snailmail virtually never! :frowning:

When I receive prepaid cards from China, there are always real stamps on the cards alongside the printed “stamp” also. That is perfectly fine with me. And also, I get relatively many cards from China and I rarely receive the same stamps twice. That is absolutely fabulous! :fireworks: :sparkler: :sparkles:

1 Like

I’m disappointed that Canada Post is not selling new prepaid postcards on their website and they’re quickly running out of existing ones. Our local postal offices only sell Manitoba-specific prepaid postcards, which are not nearly as beautiful as those online. I asked them on social media why this is, but they ignored me.

3 Likes

Yes Canada Post seems to be pretty miserly, both on the stamp & postcard production front sadly.

An upside this year was they didn’t raise the postal rates, lol

3 Likes

Here in Oz, a typical tourist card stamped and posted to Europe costs around $4.50. A maximum card incorporating postage world wide, issued by Australia Post can cost as little as two dollars, and prepaid cards bearing no stamp are $2.40. Not surprisingly the cheaper option is popular with postcrossers, and the cards themselves are very attractive.

I like stamps, but as this project is not a stamp exchange I do not get disappointed by prepaid cards, in fact I like them.

4 Likes