Those glossy postcards, what do you use to write messages?

Do you ever have one of those glossy type postcards that no pen will work on :hot_face: Even the permanent pen will smear. Using a regular pen–it will work for a moment, then it won’t. Very frustrating.

5 Likes

Yup, I know that feeling. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s why I am using a CD pen.

3 Likes

Invisible tape is your friend. Put it on the postcard, then you can write on it with normal pen. Problem solved.

2 Likes

What is a CD pen??!

I will sometimes glue some paper on or add a sticker speech bubble and write in that. Curious what others do too.

4 Likes

Sharpies Ultra Fine Point Fineliners work very well for me, they dry relatively quickly on glossy postcards.

6 Likes

What we call CD pens here are permanent markers used for writing on CDs and DVDs without getting smudged. They vary in thickness, so I guess some very thin would be suitable for postcards. I don’t know if that’s what was meant by the original poster, though :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Like

I use a sharpie fine tip pen

1 Like

These are my absolute favorite to write on glossy cards:
Sakura 34061 3-Piece Microperm Ultra-Fine Point Pen Set

1 Like

S H A R P I E S

They are amazing and after around 20 seconds they do not smear. I love them so much lol.

2 Likes

There’s also some good recommendations in this thread: Your favorite pen to write postcards?

And there’s also a few other links on the first post that are worth checking out

I’ve been using a fine point sharpie and a marker from the Sakura micron series

1 Like

I was using a Sharpie–maybe I just need to write one line at a time and let it dry.

2 Likes

I use the Tombow Mono Twin

I bought one by accident, but they are really great for glossy paper. Sadly, they’re only available in three colours as far as I know. I also use them to write the address on most postcards so that it doesn’t come off in the rain

2 Likes

Once I had really glossy cards where not even a permanent marker / CD pen would work. I then printed the text and glued it on the card and never bought such stupid cards again.

On others normally a sharpie would do.

7 Likes

Angelthecat, That is what I am dealing with! Your response made me laugh! “Never bought the stupid cards again” I understand completely! Quite frustrating when even permanent/sharpie pens won’t work. I will probably do the “glue message” method like you did.

3 Likes

Very thin rollerball pens, like 0.3 thin. I just leave the cards for the ink to dry for a couple of hours after.
Fountain pen works too, but that’s a more fancy and expensive way.

1 Like

I found a solution this week! I little sandpaper! I sanded off the glossy!

6 Likes

This could really help, thanks for the input :hugs:

1 Like

I use a sharpie ultra tip. Wait a little bit for ink to dry.

1 Like