The northernmost meetup in Svalbard 19.8.2024

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Longyearbyen, Svalbard
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Barentz Gastropub, Vei 229
:calendar: DATE: 19.8.2024
:alarm_clock: TIME: 18.30 - 21.00
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: Welcome to the northernmost meetup in Longyearbyen, Svalbard!

Let’s have a cup of coffee/tea/something good to eat and of course write postcards.

We have a nice meetup card :blush:

Please send a message to Minttuinkeri via Postcrossing or to this discussion no later than 5.8.2024 if you’ll join the meetup.

PARTICIPANTS:

1. Minttuinkeri
  2. Tallu

:point_up: Please make sure to read the Meetup Guidelines before signing up for a meetup.

16 Likes

This meet up is happening on my birthday!!! I would love to have a postcard in a swap! Have a great time ya all, have a cake on my name too :smiling_face::heart:

hi all! If someone will have time to swap, I’ll be thankfull if you consider me) Have a great time!

Hello. I would like to exchange. on this wonderful postcard.

Beautiful card, I would love to swap, if someone is willing! :polar_bear:

@Mundoo

Hello! I’m just wondering if I did something wrong because I can’t find this meetup on the meetup calendar yet? Greetings from Minttuinkeri

This is an awesome idea. I would like to swap if possible a postcard from Svalbard with combination of local post stamp and Norway stamp mailed to me from Svalbard if possible. As meeting postcards are extremely limited, any type of postcard will be awesome for me.

I wish that you all have a blast and fun time in your meeting.

Hi

Nothing wrong, I was confused as to the location because you listed it as being in Norway.

I have now added it to the calendar under the country Svalbard and Jan Mayen

Enjoy your meeting.

Vicki

Hello, dear Postcrossers!
I would be very interested in exchanging the beautiful card.
My offers:

Have fun at the meetup and thank you in advance.

While Svalbard has some independecy, it’s a part of Norway. :smile_cat:

Just FYI, there are no local stamps as such. Svalbard is a part of Norway and regular Norwegian postage is used there. But the local post office has made some designs using the postal service’s “personalized stamp” option, but those aren’t official postage stamps.

1 Like

Hello.

Thank you very much for your reply and info.

I was mentioning these “stamps” which had been released since 2020.

With your confirmation I cannot consider them local stamps anymore, just stickers.

I will share images of some of them for reference.

Thanks again for your reply. :smile:

Most of these are clearly Russian. Svalbard is a part of Norway. I suppose these can be used by residents of Barentsburg to send mail home. But they are Russian stamps with Svalbard motifs, and unusable to send mail from Longyearbyen or Ny-Ålesund. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What a beautiful postcard! I am currently at Bahamas :bahamas: if anyone want a postcard from Bahamas, I will gladly swap with for this postcard!

Hello! Anna, didn’t Norway suspend postal services with Russia?

That is correct, but it was opened again not long after, so it is possible to send to Russia from Norway (as well as Belarus).

1 Like

Would have been nice to attend, but I’m in Greece then (as I usually are in August), and a bit of a short notice as well to be able to get affordable flights.

1 Like

Great news! Thank you very much!)

There is a postal message from Norway to Russia. You can also go to Russia from Svalbard.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply🌸