THANK YOU amazing admin for solving mystery

This morning I received a card with —

• no ID number
  • no addressee name
  • no address.

Yes. You read this correctly. Look —

And yet within hours, admin was able to help me register the card.
AMAZING!
Thank you admin ! :hugs::two_hearts:

43 Likes

The best team :partying_face:

3 Likes

how that card even come to you?

12 Likes

no address? o.o how does that even work out?

5 Likes

@Katitriin and @ollah4 … indeed, a mystery! I cannot begin to imagine how it came to me.
I assumed it belonged to someone else and that I could put on the address and mail it onward once I had asked admin for help. Wrong. Apparently, it was for me.
Maybe there is a sci-fi explanation: maybe there is an invisible ink that postal machines can read, but that we can’t? I cannot tell if there is … (?). If that were the case, I’d be curious to know more …
… a mystery … :question:

8 Likes

Maybe they snatched the envelope bc it was such a beauty and just gave you the card :joy:

6 Likes

I like that you are thinking about other possibilities @ollah4 ! :slight_smile:
No envelope though. And the stamp was postmarked.

2 Likes

Okay, than that possibility is a goner :smiling_face_with_tear: :joy:

1 Like

I received a postcard without my (or any) address on it, too, a while ago. I could still guess where the address label once has been. It seems as if the card held on to his label all the way from Japan until German Post printed their barcode on it. Once in my mail carriers hands it must have been obvious that its most likely for me. As far as I know there aren’t any other active postcrossers here so I am the local postcard person.
I’m happy the card didn’t loose the label earlier on its journey.

8 Likes

Did the sender offer an explanation?

Maybe your address was printed on a sticker that peeled off in between your postee putting it in their bag and pulling it out to put in your mailbox? Amazing that it reached you AND could be registered!

7 Likes

@amalaswintha - there’s a plausible possibility!
I have received several cards that were addresses elsewhere in Canada … assumed that because I get most of the cards in my neighbourhood, the post office just pops them into my mailbox without even looking at the address.
Once, a card arrived that was addressed to someone a couple of blocks away. I had no idea that there was a tattoo artist inking in a nearby basement. :wink:

1 Like

Haven’t heard back yet from the sender @canchita.

1 Like

Is there an orange barcode at the bottom of the postcard? Your address is stored in this barcode, so it can be assigned to you even without an address label.

4 Likes

No orange barcode @grizzabella.
However, you made me look closer and there is a tiny piece of helpful evidence … it’s a piece of paper, stuck on just above the postcard barcode; as if from a label. You can see it, if you look closely at my posted image. So, it’s likely that @Amalaswintha’s ‘missing label’ theory is on track for solving ‘the mystery’.

Nevertheless, the magic still remains with Admin who were able to quickly help me register the card! :magic_wand:

4 Likes

Well, indeed… very interesting!

But you could provide a date and that the card shows Wismar. If there was only one card from Germany drawn on Nov 11th (or around this date) and / or if only one person from Wismar or the area around draw your address it isn’t so difficult to assign the card. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

With a date of the postmark, the admin team can also quickly track down a sent card. :wink:

5 Likes

Hard to believe only one card drawn in Germany on any one date. :wink: The most prolific Postcrossers!

1 Like

What I meant was that one person in that specific area draw your address on that day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there a barcode on the front side? Normally Canada Post prints one there on postcards (or on the back side of envelopes).

1 Like

Well, @duck2006, on reading @grizzabella’s earlier suggestion that I look for a bar code, I couldn’t see one on the written side.
Your re-asking the question made me look even closer (begs the question why I didn’t do that before, but, here we are … ).
The bar code is not on the back (which would be easy to see because the back is white).
However … :drum: … there is one across the top of the front of the card, largely invisible because of the colour of the image. But, there it is!
And so, here’s a sum of what I’ve learned from all of you wonderful mystery solvers - thank you! - which could be helpful to others who have difficulty registering a card:

• we can ask admin for help at Request help to find an unknown ID - be sure to be ready to include postcard images; back and front
  • check for evidence of address label gone missing; in other words: did you get unstuck? :wink:
  • check date the card was postmarked
  • look for tell-tale barcode on card, front or back. It could be as clear as the stick-on codes found on US cards, or a faint orange code in Canada.

Anything else we could add to this “tips and tricks” for identifying cards?

5 Likes