Tell us more about your definitive stamps

The latest definitive stamps released in Ukraine (10th series, “Pysanky”) show Easter eggs from various regions of Ukraine.

First issue in the 2010ths

2017-2022: 9th series “Coats of arms of cities, towns and villages of Ukraine

зображення

2012-2016: 8th series “Leaves

First issue in the 2000ths

2007-2012: 7th series “Common items

зображення

зображення

That one has reprinted value - from 0,01 UAH to 2 UAH

зображення

2001/2002-2006: 5th and 6th series “Flowers

This stamp block is called the “5th and 6th series of definitive stamps” and I’m not sure what is so different between the two.

First issue in the 1990ths

1995-2006: 4th series “City transport

This series is the smallest of all. It features only 3 stamp types.

зображення

зображення

зображення

1993-1993/1994-2001 3rd and 2nd series "Ethnographic stories «Ancient Ukraine»

We’re getting closer and closer to the formation of modern Ukrposhta.

3rd series was a continuation of 2nd series. For some stamps small, but very important in the economic context of this time change - the value of the stamp was no longer displayed as number. Inflation of the Ukrainian currency had reached in 1994 year state where smallest karbovanets banknote in use was 100, and a year later 1000 krb. In the new series value of the stamp wasn’t fixed and stamps were usable after the 1996 transition from karbovanets to modern hryvnia.

200 000 karbovanets banknote

зображення
2nd series - stamp with value 100 krb.

зображення
3rd series - stamp with the letter “Є” (“Ye”)

:confetti_ball: 16.05.1992 - 1st series of postal stamps in independent Ukraine - “Allegory «Young Ukraine»

The drawing made by Heorhii Narbut originally was used for a stamp with a value of 0,3 Ukrainian People’s Republic’s hryvnia (18.06.1918). Notably, these stamps weren’t used only for postal services, but also instead of coins.

There is much more to tell about the postal stamps of Ukraine before and after independence from the USSR, but I would recommend you to look at Ukrainian Wikipedia’s article about that: Direct link, Translated to English with Google.

7 Likes

Here in the Netherlands we recently got new definitive stamps

These for domestic use:

And these for international:

They feature different things that are associated with Dutch culture and are a sequel of sorts to the definitives from 2014, which if you are a longtime Postcrosser you have probably seen at least the international version of these, which are now slowly being phased out:

There are also some other definitives, such as these love stamps and birth stamps:

Also these stamps used for mail when someone has passed away:

And last but not least, there is this one for bigger mail pieces, called an XL stamp:

10 Likes

WOW! Thanks to everyone here making an effort by not only showing your definitive stamps (and how they changed over time) but also giving us cultural, political and historical context. So many things in this world to learn about…

Appreciating all of your contributions. :blush: :+1:

4 Likes

Where I live, Belgium, it’s a monarchy so the definitives are generally depicting the king:

Philippe, the current one

Albert II, his father
Baudoin
and Baudoin 1st, Philippe’s uncle

And until few years ago, they had also birds definitive series drawn by Buzin:

7 Likes

The difinitive stamps in Thailand are usually issued with the portrait of the king or other Thailand identity symbols.

HM The King Rama IX (9th Series / Navy uniform) - issued in 1996-2011

HM The King Rama IX (10th Series / Air Force uniform) - issued in 2010-2016
(After HM the King Rama IX passing in 2016, many stamps of this series were used by Thailand Post for making a memorial postcard after that. This series has become rare.)

HM The King Rama X (1st Series / Air Force uniform) - issued in 2018
Thailand Post has started issuing the definitive stamps with other pictures since 1997.

Lotus stamps (without numeral value, but it can use for send a domestic letter which not exceed 20g) [1997]

New design of definitive stamps [2003]

Thai Pavilion definitive stamps [2017]
The definitive stamp series was issued while Thailand Post was waiting for new definitive stamps with the portrait of the king, issued a year later. (All of postage stamps issued in Thailand with the portraits of the monarch must always be granted by the royal permission before printing.)
This series was reprinted, and printed for the additional denomination (e.g. 15, 20, 25 and 30 baht for use in postal services.

5 Likes

I find that Marianne ugly. I do not like it.

Nevertheless, a friend took a photo of such Marianne in Perigeux. I wish La Poste could had done such a black and white stamp because I like those.

I like and collect these 3 Marianne.

2023-marianne-avenir-1-euro_1

2 Likes

I love the Chabacano language stamp, because of its root in spanish.

Is the COVID stamp a postal tax stamp? I ask because I have received some mails using such a single stamp in addition to the postal rate of the envelope.

I collect mail with those Pysanky egg stamps. They are great.

1 Like

No it is not, it is ordinary definitive stamp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some definitive stamps from China

Revolutionary monument of China 1974

Industrial and agricultural construction 1977

Scenery of the motherland 1981

Birds of China 2002

Beautiful China 2013

2 Likes

Because the definition of definitive stamps is ambiguous (stamps that aren’t commemorative stamps or stamps that have value printed on them), most of our stamps could be categorized as definitive. The stamps in Finland are sold as long as the stock lasts, so some stamp sellers can carry stamps issued years ago. Of the value printed stamps the most common are these:

0,05 € Water (three variations that feature rippling water)

0,10 € Archipelago (unfortunately, these beautiful convienient sized stamps were replaced by a bigger bird stamp in 2017 :slightly_frowning_face: )

0,10 € Long-tailed duck

0,20 € Velvet scoter

0,50 € Feather

2 Likes

Yesterday I’ve bought some “definitive stamps” here in Egypt, Al Arish. They look definitive stamps to me. I’ll buy more the day after tomorrow (Friday is an holiday) maybe with a higher value on it c:

4 Likes

Oh you’re in Egypt! Great!
You’ll also find some nice definitive stamps of 1 and 0.50 pound! (and by the way, it’s a great idea of gift if you have some stamp collecting friends, you can buy a whole sheet and it won’t cost much)

1 Like

I have a collection of them(Queen definitive stamps)but some of them are too difficult to get​:sob::cold_sweat:

2 Likes

That’s great! Do you also collect the King ones?

1 Like

also collect(refer to definitive stamps)
but harder to find

Nice collection. Yes, the king is even harder to get. Dear , it seems your stamp album has plastic pages, is that convenient? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

It’s exactly convenient😂they are moveable pages
by the way,the ones of high prices are even harder😅

1 Like

Yes ,it’s because of the high prices that I’m starting to think it’s time to try something else :laughing: